'97 Ford Taurus 3.0 Runs Rough When Starting after Lukewarm Start (1/2 Hour Range)

Hi all,

I have an odd issue with my car. I have a '97 Ford Taurus that will start and idle fine when a cold or warm start. Warm being less then say

20 minutes. But if the car has been sitting for about 1/2 hour it gives me trouble. It will start fine, but then immediately idles rough and will die. I can restart and it fires right up, but then will die again. The only way to keep it running is to hit the gas after it starts and rev the engine up.

If I rev it a little and then let it idle it idles VERY roughly. You can watch the tach jump around. If left it usually will kill again. So I usually end up riding the brake and holding down the gas a little until I can get out on the road to get up to highway speed, etc.

Once on the road it cleans right up and runs fine. The interesting thing is that I have talked to two other people with similar year cars and the same engine. I have the 3.0 six cylinder 145 hp engine. I believe its the Vulcan engine. It is NOT the DOHC came and is not a flex fuel engine.

If anyone has run into this problem and has found a cure I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Well I have the same exact problem. If you find out what it is let me know and I will do same. I'm thinking it is leaky injectors flooding the engine after shutdown when hot.

Reply to
Tim