97 Sable Oil Leak

Sups guys, I have a question concerning my Sable I have what i assume a oil leak The people at one shop told me it was my oil plug that was worn out. Well at the next oil change I brought along my new oil plug and had walmart to install,.which they say the did. Is this a known problem on the Duratech engine with oil leaks.. Its just a drip from what i seen after investigating after the smell of oil burining. my car has 157k miles on it.Any site on this would be helpful.

Thanks Jay

Reply to
Jason Smith

Hi Jay,

I would think the first problem would be taking the car into Walmart to get an oil change, or anything done there. Check to see if they actually changed the oil plug, and if that is what is leaking.

Reply to
Teknical

You are not being very clear. Are you saying that the problem was solved and you are wondering if that particular problem is common?

OR

Are you saying that after having Wal-Mart install a new oil pan plug, your sable continues to leak oil?

Reply to
Eastward Bound

An oil plug leak is common ...but..., so are ALOT of other oil leaks.

Reply to
Scott M

In news:alt.autos.ford, "Teknical" posted on Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:41:02 -0400:

I've had oil changes at Wal-Mart for several years and I've had no problem. Some friends of mine, however, took their car to Jiffy Lube. The mechanic drained the oil, but forgot to put any fresh oil in it before giving it back to the customer. They took off, got several hundred miles away from home and suddenly the car wasn't running all that great anymore.

You know, the main reason I take my car to Wal-Mart for an oil change is because it's the only place I know of where I can get a synthetic oil change for only $30.00. When I go to a Texaco oil change place, or any of the quick oil change shops, they always want to charge $60 just for a regular oil change, and probably closer to $80/$90 for synthetic. Why? Because they won't just change the oil. They want to do a 4,000 point inspection I don't want done. I get the oil changed every 6000 miles and that's every six weeks. I don't want to spend an extra $60 to have work forced on me that I'm not interested in -- work which I do myself, and they'll probably end up messing it up anyway. Take spark plugs. I had a bitch of a time getting the spark plugs out of my car to change them. Why? I don't think mechanics really torque everything. I torqued my spark plugs and was able to remove them easily after I'd burned them for 50,000 miles. But nobody else had messed with them. I've since had a head job done. If they removed the plugs to do that, I'm sure whoever put them back in got them as tight as he possibly could.

Grrr.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

I've never had any work done at Wal-Mart with the exception of getting a set of snow tires installed. The "tech" installed the tires, however while watching through the little bay window, I saw him start my car (which was a

89 buick park ave with less then 50,000 on it at the time), gun the engine to the rev limiter and drop it into reverse, peeling out and filling the bay with smoke. Luckily I *saw* this happening to my car, as did a gentleman who was next to me waiting for his car.

When I checked the car, I discovered I now had a f*cked tranny. Walmart offered me the tires for free if I signed a waiver, which I refused. I had to take them to court in the end, at which point I was awarded the price of a new transmission, driveshafts, installation, interest and court costs. The tech's excuse in court was that he "was just having a little fun".

Took me over 3 years to get settled, and if I hadn't seen the idiot beat the crap out of my car firsthand, with a witness, I'd have been screwed.

Check out the BBB reports on wal-mart's automotive section, it's a nightmare.

Reply to
Teknical

29
Reply to
Jason Smith

In news:alt.autos.ford, "Teknical" posted on Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:20:37 -0400:

Jeez, that makes me wonder what could have happened to my '95 S-10, at the time only a couple of years old, when I took it into a Firestone garage for a transmission oil change, and got it back with a cracked flywheel.

The fact that they would even offer such a deal is very telling. Hmmm. $250 - $400 max for four tires in exchange for not making us pay for your likely to be $3,500 transmission job. I wouldn't have signed, either.

I hope he was fired. Anybody working in a garage should no better than to treat any car like that, especially a customer's. That makes me want to hang around and watch through the window, too, instead of running off to shop through the DVD department.

Reply to
Damaeus