'98 Mercury Sable Oil leaks

Hi all,

My brother-in-law owns this car and asked me to throw out this question. It has the 3.0 ohc engine with about 90k miles on it. He just finished having the oil pan gasket replaced because of a heavy leak that it had. According to the mechanic the gasket material that Ford used isn't very good in this location and he has seen this problem many times. He did check the pcv valve and it worked fine, so the mechanic said it would't be pressure from inside that caused it.

But then approximately a month later it now appears that his main seal in the back of the engine is leaking. We are wondering if there is possibly pressure not being released in the crankcase, or if the mechanic is right about the bad gaskets, or ??? Has anyone had a problem like this or know anything about the gasket material issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Btw, I have a '96 Taurus with the same 3.0 ohv engine and haven't had any problem in the 90k miles that I have on it. There is a very slight leak from around the dipstick area, but not enough that I ever have to cleanup the garage floor or add oil.

Thank you in advance,

Tim

Reply to
Timothy Davis