98 Sable - Leave My Rivets Alone!

I went in to have a tie rod end replaced yesterday morning and the mechanic told me that to align the front end properly, he'd have to cut some rivets up on the top of the fender in the engine compartment around the big bolt that holds the strut/spring assembly to the chassis. I declined and told him to do what he can without cutting those. Frankly, it sounded odd to me when he said they're built at the factory that way -- to have to cut the rivets to align it. Funny. The car had 98,000 miles on it when I got it and it had never been aligned? And nobody else who aligned it has ever told me that.

Anyway.... what's the story here?

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Dont know but just have him adjust the toe and watch the tires for wear...

Reply to
Scott M

"Damaeus" wrote

The pop-rivets are a convenience thing, to keep the original caster/camber settings in case the strut has to be removed to do other work, so they can leave the top strut mount in place, drop the strut out of it, and reinsert when finished. If the alignment shop has determined that the camber or caster isn't exactly where it should be, the rivets will be have to be taken out to allow the top mount to be moved. If you want, you can always "pop" :) in a new rivet afterwards, but they're not required.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

In news:alt.autos.ford, "MasterBlaster" rivets will be have to be taken out to allow the top mount to be moved. If you want,

Okay. I was assuming that somehow removing those rivets might weaken the structure and result in a higher likelihood of watching my strut rocket off into space or something. Not that the chances would be that high, but higher than they would be if the rivets had been left in place.

Thanks for the clarification.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Damaeus opined

Umm... i guess I can see that. Different (or lack of) "life experience" and all that.

In truth those rivets wouldnt hold a storm door closer bracket in place, let alone a strut.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

In news:alt.autos.ford, Backyard Mechanic posted on Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:55:17 GMT:

Lack of mechanical experience, yes. But I do have enough life experience to know a smart ass when I see one. Not to say that I don't appreciate your advice, and not to say I don't appreciate the rather dry sarcasm. The issue is life experience. You're a smart ass. Not a judgment, just an observation. :-P

Strange that they'd put them there, but then their purpose has been explained elsewhere.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus

Damaeus opined

Uh, yes... guilty.. as I often remark in follow-up remarks.

I consider bulletin boards and forums as MORE than some "community".

Closest way I can put it, once you have ten years or so experience on here... is sorta like a bar at happy hour.

:>P backatcha!!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

In news:alt.autos.ford, Backyard Mechanic posted on Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:44:42 GMT:

I agree. In fact, I consider my involvement in a flamewar from time to time a very enjoyable form of entertainment. I discovered usenet in 1994, myself, so it looks like we're about even on the experience part. :-)

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus