Ever buy tires from Pep Boys?

I had a horrible experience buying tires from Pep Boys. They are liars and cheaters. I purchased four tires at $50 each and the salesman proceeds to tell me the total will be close to $400! Obviously, I was flabbergasted and asked why so high. Then he breaks down the price, quickly glossing over $20 per tire "insurance" and $11 per tire Life-time balancing, both OPTIONAL.

It upsets me that he purposefully didn't ask if I wanted them. Highly unethical and probably illegal. Wouldn't surprise me if others just accepted the total and didn't make a fuss like I did. Plus paid another $8 for new stem plugs but they just used the old ones from my old tires! I also asked them to save one of the tires because it was relatively new and wanted to keep it as emergency, but they threw it away!

Good thing I took all the quarters out of the coin box, or they probably would've taken those too!

Anyone else experience similar? Did you report them and where?

Reply to
Longagotoday2343

In CA by law you have to sign an "estimate" before they do work. Many tire stores around hear give you lifetime balance/rotate and road hazard insurance for about 10 bucks a tire. Sounds like they where trying to get $20 per tire from you? Jeeeez

Reply to
Scott M

I bought 4 tires from them about 4 years ago for $99. After incidentals and all the usual crap that tire places tack on, I was out the door for just under $120.

Still have them on the car and they are fine. I'd go back.

So, tell them you don't want them and aren't paying for them. It's not like they can't just scratch that off the paperwork!

Reply to
Mark

Yep, Pep Boys did the same thing to me. Then tried to convince me that the old valve stems were really new ones, and they just looked old because they had been improperly stored for a long time. (The old "We aren't trying to cheat you, we're just incompetent" defense.)

I convinced them to put in new valve stems, but it was a hassle. I haven't bought anything from them since. Why deal with people whose standard policy is to cheat customers?

(It could have been worse. There was a tourist in there, and Pep Boys' mechanics were trying to fix his car by randomly replacing parts. They had done hundreds of dollars worth of work, without fixing the problem. But they weren't worried. They were going to keep trying until they either accidentally fixed the problem or else reached his credit cards' limits.)

Reply to
Rex Tincher

A friend of mine bought a set of tires from them and one of the tires literally flew apart in only a few thousand miles. They refused to replace it under the warranty cuz they didn't think a tire would fail like that unless it was abused or under inflated. He didn't even have them on the truck long enough for them to get abused or under inflated. I'd never buy a tire from them.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy