The sound of bending metal..

.... was not what I expected on my early morning trip to work. At 06.30 hours I'm pulling onto the estates main circular road. I get about 40 meters from my Juction when a Rover Coupe comes flying out of a side road straight into the side of Alfie. Said Rover was then deposited by Alfie onto the grassverge some 2 inches shorter than when it awoke.

Alfie suffered side impact damage to the front tyre, Front wing, running board, inner and Outer sills Front door, Paint damage to the rear door , rear quarter and snatched off my rear Bumper endcap.

Surprisingly other than the noise there was little else to note impact wise... Will see if I'm ok in the morning as I understand that Whiplash and muscle injury takes a while to manafest it's self. Alfie remained on course which was reassuring.

Witnesses bogged off at the first opportunity not even bothering to see if people were injured....bas***ds!

I came to a halt, bunged on the hazard lights and went to see if the other driver was OK . He was fine. The words "Sorry mate! It's my fault, I couldn't see you my windows were misted up" seemed to remove the desire inflict pain. He was right, I checked his window was misted up. So why in the hell he flew out of a juction showing no signs of stopping is beyond me. To add to the insult it was his driver side window that was misted up... now how bone idle is it not to even wind it down! let alone demist it before starting the journey.

Suppose it's lucky it was me he hit and not the paper boy. Anyway, we have the insurance assessor coming tomorrow to cast an eye over Alfie. Although I suspect that it'll be beyond economical repair. I reckon pre collision he would have been worth around £2500 if the prices reflected in Auto trader are owt to go by. Thing is at what point do you cut your losses. I'm sure I can hear the insurance cowboys horses approaching already!

At the moment the claim is being progressed via Highway (His insurance) who I also have seperate cover with one of my other vehicles.. This one however was Mrs D's motor which I'm named driver on. Interesting that by claiming direct from his insurance it shouldn't affect all the no claims palava. Transpires he was insured third party only (his words)... looks like an expensive cockup.

This is my first real claim for an accident so will be interesting to see how it progresses to say the least.

If I do repair him how do I get these Accident damaged markers removed if they write it off as beyond economical repair (maily down to labour costs I would guess) ?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Derry's your man - he's been there, done that and made a profit!

(buy it back, fix it, flog it)

:)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

They can't write it off - although they might like to. You are the third party here, it's upto his insurance to put you back into the state you were in prior to the accident. If you don't want your Landy written off, don't accept that offer, insist it's repaired.

Once repaired there should be no HPI marker on the vehicle (assuming the insurance do the job).

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

That's becaue they will get a "produer", and threats of arrest if they can't find their licence, V5 etc - at the very least they will have to waste half a day visiting a police station to comply with the producer - (no parking available at the Police Station either of course, so even more expense/cost/inconvenience incurred) it's hardly surprising they bogged off, I'll certainly do the same next time after my after my little adventure a few months ago when I reported an accident. Sorry to be harsh, but the Police *really* need realise that people can't just drop everything and take a half day off work to deal with something that is not their problem...

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

William MacLeod wrote in news:7luZc.189$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

I was smiling as I read the OP's posting!

Highway will tell you that you can't buy the salvage. It's not company policy. Just make sure you do not accept any payment and make it plain you are going to be difficult. The vehicle is yours. There are independant assessors out there and the salvage value of your vehicle is likely to be peanuts. Hopefully, you have a written down value on the insurance.

As for being "written off", I just don't know. I was assured mine was a w/o. But then I was also assured the chassis was twisted on two planes. (Not according to the second repairer who looked at it, nor to my own measurements!).

I found the slip that is handed to the new owner and sent this to the DVLO for a new registration document. It arrived without any endorsement and it seems there may have been a c*ck-up in my favour. Anyway, the 90 sailed through it's MOT without problems.

After replacing the bent rear tub and rear cross member (the original was rotten and due for replacement anyway), my 1992 D90 sold for £4,350. Written down value and purchase price was £3,500. Insurance paid out £3,400 after Excess. Salvage cost £650. Rear tub cost £250 (including transport) and rear X member was about £110. I did the work myself in odd moments. I am no mathematician but I think I came out ahead. Of course, it didn't last long. I bought a 1997 D90 for £4,900.... Such is life. But then it could have been a Range Rover!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Eh? Without wanting to start a flame war here, that's bollocks.

I've been witness to two RTAs in the last couple of years, one very (very) nasty, the other requiring an air ambulance for a motorcyclist*

On neither occasion was I given a 'producer'.

  • see:
    chap was alright, by the way.
Reply to
Mother

I thought every RTA resulted in whiplash these days? ;-)

Glad you're alright, BTW.

Reply to
Mother

Perhaps you'd like to tell that to the clown at Hanley Police Station that took my statement then?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Quite correct, they have a legal obligation to restore your property to you as it was before the accident, and in the case of vehicles like landrovers, the only option can be repair if it's unique....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It's an easy pinch for them to ask for your details, you might be driving uninsured or with no MOT. Why pinch only one motorist when you've got the opportunity to pinch several witness motorists as well?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Not all of them... dispite the rumours. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Actually there is no power of arrest for not producing a licence. You can be reported for not producing a licence. Or if the Officer doubts your identity or your address isn't suitable for a summons you can be arrested and then put before the court for what is a reportable offence. Picture your average tinker in a crash and imagine the hastle of sorting that. ...... Or did I miss that was just another low ball rant at the police....again.... for a change.

Technically you should be able to produce your licence at the roadside, it's an offence not to, but then the Police pushed for realistic legistlation and assisted in the invent of the producer... now which is the more inconvienient?

it's hardly surprising they bogged

Please drop me a list of your VRM's and if I ever see you suffer an accident I'll consider applying the same logic **NOT**.

My issue was one of injury... a simple "are you allright? Do you need an ambulance?", would have sufficed. I couldn't have give two hoots if they were willing to be a witness, because sadly I see it every day.

Sorry to be harsh,

Is it really the police they are helping ? NO it's the victim... . This is why offenders escape justice regardless of any POLICE cockup horror stories. Lets keep it in perspective here. Who is helping who?

Now if I may dare to bring it back on topic. How much would a Beamends Range Rover NSF hidden hindge door cost just for the purposes of comparrison.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Folk, don't you just love 'em, like the ones that walk past some poor bloke being robbed even worse.

Well, that's illegal for a start, but in honesty everyones done it although i usually put me windows down!

Insurance companies are a pain in the arse, the ONLY way of dealing them is to hold out & not give in as they expect you to do.

Highway are OK, we are insured with them & despite a claim they are OK!

He wont tell his insurance company he admitted liabitly for a start as his insurance could be void, he will tell them you cut him up or something like that & it all starts there!

I think it comes done to the level of damage etc.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

On or around Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:25:03 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

minor front-end at low speed between my 110 and a rover 400, according to the papers that appeared some considerable time afterwards, resulted in "whiplash". wot a load of bollox, I fort. dunno if the scrounging bastard ambulance-chasers got anywhere on behalf of Mr W______, but it's to be hoped not. bloody insurance costs enough already without people trying to up the ante and gain money for nowt.

and he had the cheek to try and claim separately for a towbar and suchlike - If I'd been the insurers, I'd have been asking why he'd not notified me that he'd modified his car by fitting a tow hitch. hmmm. a piquant thought occurs, perhaps they did and declined to pay out 'cos he'd not told them thusly...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Alex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hmm...that may be what the law says but it's not what it means in practice.

When a pensioner ploughed into the side of my Peugeot 504 many years ago all I got was a a cash settlement. I was stationary at the time and the guy admitted he was at fault. I wanted the vehicle repaired but his insurers paid the market value only which was a lot less than the vehicle was worth to me. I did look into taking it to court but everyone advised that I would simply be awarded the amount that had been offered and not to bother. But maybe I should have fought harder?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

When some idiot in a stolen car ploughed into mine I just paid for the repair and wrote it off mentally, better than having the insurance company do that.

Since I am not concerned about cosmetics, anything that could be knocked or kicked back into shape was and the bare essentials repaired, being the bumper and dumb iron.

My advice is if you have legal expences cover sue him for whatever you can that is not covered by the insurance, such as loss of no claims, and personal distress, injury or whatever.

Reply to
Larry

When my Ford Sierra was written off in an accident many years ago, I said to the driver, "look what you've done, you've put my mum in a wheelchair" well technically he had, as she had to sit and look at the damage from the perspective of her wheelchair because I was no longer driving anywhere :)

Reply to
Larry

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Larry blithered:

Remember your claim is against him, not his insurance company. They are his problem!

Reply to
GbH

I have to admit the only time I got away with suing a perp was some idiot of a sandhurst cadet who reckoned he knew it all who ploughed into the back of my limo (what an idiot, limos, have a braking distance that is pessimistic even by landie standards)

His accent annoyed me instantaneosly and his pomposity really irked, he was the loser though, and we were both insured by the same company. The moral is do not tangle with Larry.

Reply to
Larry

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Larry blithered:

I'll remember that! give us a clue as to where not to be?

Reply to
GbH