99 Taurus, fuel stoppage

Just lost fuel to engine on 99 Taurus. Driving along and it just quit. Towed it home and tried to start, No Go. Plenty of battery. Has spark. No fuel at injector manifold. Fooled with fuel cut-off switch in trunk and, lo-and-behold it would start and run fine. Ford service people said sometimes the fuel pump in the tank cuts out at higher temps. Solution is a blanket replacement to the tune of about $500. Yeah right! Doesn't make sense that jiggling the fuel cut-off switch cured this problem since the car wasn't bumped, unless its an intermittent switch. Looking for ideas on the potential fuel pump problem, fail rates, etc. Any help appreciated. TIA

Reply to
Van

My '88's fuel pump would work like a champ for 40 - 50 miles until it heated up then it would loose pressure. Let it cool down and back it came. Putting a few bucks of cool gas in the tank would bring it back for a while. Until I had a pressure tester with me so I could check it on the side of the road it drove me crazy. I though it was vapor locking as the pump was running but getting it warmed up you could watch the pressure drop off. The hotter it was out the worse it was, cold day and it would be fine. If your miles are high I wouldn't fool around just change the pump.

Reply to
Repairman

Since the fuel cut off switch seemed to make it work again, I would start with that. Take a look at it, and loose wires,cables etc. Try replacing the switch.

Reply to
MSNIJ123

Good idea! I'll work on that angle. Also, wondering if any information is available on fuel pump failures.

Van

Reply to
Van

well this is what i did when having a fuel problem... i thought it was the safety cut-off switch in the trunk.. i then removed it and took the two wires and put them together... the car ran fine... it was the switch... just make sure you insulate the wires from hitthing the body of the car you you gonna blow a fuse.... and if that gets it running get a new switch..... sorry i just read taurus.. mine was a 93, thinking of that, with a 99 the safety cut off switch might be located someplace else... you mentioned it so you know where its located.....

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Van