'99 Taurus traction control upgrade

Hello there, My Parents have recently purchased a '99 taurus se. it has the standard issue 3.0 l v6 and antilock brakes. They live in an area where there is a fair amount of snow fall. My question is what is needed to upgrade the antilock brakes to include traction control? I understand that t.c works not only with the brakes, but also moderates engine power and tranny shifting as well, indicating some link between the t.c/antilock module and the eec module.I imagine that the necessary harnesses are in place, but would the present eec module respond to 'plugging in' the t.c. module in place of the alb module, or is the t.c.module placed in addition to the alb module.( a wiring schematic would sure be nice)

73, Rick
Reply to
etherial cruiser

I doubt if it's that easy, or worth the extreme cost. I'd assume the engine computer would need to be reprogrammed to match the options. I think there may also be a switch and light that would need to be added. The wiring may not be present for them. Other necessary wiring may not be present on the car.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

what I would do if they have snowfall which I do too! this is free and will get more traction out of the tires during winter driving, have them lower tire pressure by 2 psi per manufac specs, hope this helps you out

Reply to
fordltd

Lowering pressure will make things WORSE for snow. It's not the same as sand. Underinflated tires on snow just pack it underneath, making you slip.

Plus, unless you constantly check tire pressures, the colder temperatures have dropped your pressure anyways (I think it's roughly 1 psi per 10 deg F.)

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann