Re: 93 taurus stalls with no warning

Hi,

About six months ago our 1993 Taurus would also stop running intermittently. It might be at a stop light, or while riding down the road. The engine would just quit running immediately. No sputters or fading; just stop running. It would be fine for a couple weeks, or even a month, then it would just stop running at the most undesirable time and place. I'd crank the engine for about 10 seconds and then it would start right up as if nothing happened, and would be ok for another week or two.

I talked to a couple friends and the opinion seemed to be to replace the fuel pump. Since the car only has 50,000 miles on it (and one owner) this just didn't seem logical - even if it is a Ford.

I checked the engine codes, fuel pump pressure, the inertia switch, voltage to the pump, replaced the fuel filter, etc, and everything was 100%. But still the car would just do it's surprise engine stop.

I looked into the procedure for the tank and pump removal and it looked like a nasty job to be avoided. My brother had done a fuel pump job on a Taurus and he confirmed this. So I "Googled" the Usenet and discovered this gem of an article.

I picked up my * first * CCR modules at NAPA as suggested by Eastward Bound in the previous thread. It was NAPA p/n AR761 and cost $74.99 + tax. I installed the CCR module (ie. CCRM for short here), the car started, the AC worked and the engine fan worked when it got hot. In addition to the fuel pump replay, the CCRM has these relays embedded too. The wife took the kids to school the next day, and while waiting in line to drop them off, the AC high pressure valve blew off and scarred the sh__ out of her. She called me and said there was "steam" coming out from under the hood and she had turned the car off immediately. Ironically, I had just replaced the radiator a week before, so I figured I left something loose, so I told her let it cool down, turn off the AC, check the water level, then limp the car home without baking the engine (please).

I come home to inspect the damage, and the water is fine, but I have AC oil on the side of the engine. I have a schematic of the engine electrical, so knew about the AC relay inside the CCRM. I got to the CCRM, and it was baking hot and smelled like burning plastic. The AC clutch wouldn't work, so I called NAPA, explained the situation, and they offered to replace the CCRM. They confirmed that they had given me the correct part number. I let them know that I was not happy at all about having to have my AC recharged (thank you neighbor!) and that I would first like to have them call their manufacturer (Echlin) and verify that the AC relay that was in there could handle the AC clutch load of my 1993 Taurus. They called Echlin (they said) and told me that I must have received a defective part, yes it was properly designed, and that I could come in and pick up a replacement. I agreed to that with the understanding that if it happened again, they would refund my money no questions asked. They agreed.

So another 15 mile trip, another CCRM installed, and another half a day shot. Next day the wife calls me from Target with the same "it scared the sh__ out of me and steam coming out" story. I called NAPA, and told them I was coming to get my money back.

Before I went to NAPA, I called my local Ford Parts Distributor. I know one of the guys there by name because I also have a 1986 TuboCoupe that I had recently finished replumbing. They had the Taurus CCRM in stock (p/n F6DZ-12B577-AA ) and gave me a good preferred customer deal at $117 for the part. He said they sell a lot of them. I'm thinking to myself, "Yep, I bet they also sell them to every auto mechanic who replaces your Taurus fuel pump for no reason." I brought the CCRM home, installed it, and have not had a single problem with fuel starvation or the AC since.

One final note: Discount Auto

) said theycould also could get this part in about seven days out of California forabout the same price as NAPA. He said their part was made by GP Sorenson.Perhaps their Sorenson part would have faired better than the NAPA Echlinpart. But alas, Ford Parts takes the gold medal on this one. Thank you again gsrollins2000, Linda, Jim Z, jim and Eastward Bound for posting your experiences and solution to this problem.

Regards, Brcobrem

P.S. I tred to post this thread through Google Groups several times in the last week and it appeared to post, but never actually did. I am using the newsgroup capabilites of Outlook Express on this attempt.

A few months ago my 1993 Ford Taurus stalled while sitting at a stop > light. It started right up in about 2 minutes. No more problems for > two weeks. Driving in town car just stalled. No warning. Started > back up in about 2 minutes. A week later same thing. Always starts > back up with in 2 minutes and runs fine. Never a warning. Check > engine light never comes on. All electrical parts keep > working(radio, lights, horn, electric window). Wehre should I start > looking??
Reply to
Bret

I have a similiar problem with my Ford pickup but I have dual tank

I check to make sure I was getting gas -- none but if I prime

the carb it starts right up but I have to either wait a bit or prime it up

numerous times. My advise to you to check to make sure you

have gas coming to the carb/throttle body. If not it could be

a problem with your fuel pump/regulator heating up

Reply to
krash51218