Aerostar Shift Lever goes Kaput - Help

'93 Aerostar/3.0L V-6/Auto trans....... Backed out of the driveway, then shifting into Drive, the shifter handle suddenly went limp. Huh? Playing around with it, I got it to go into drive, so I pulled back in. Upon further toying, I can get it to go back and forth between Drive and Neutral, but that's it. The shifter is still connected, but it can be rotated around. Wish I had parked parallel instead of pulling back in... now it's stuck where it is.

Obviously, something broke or came loose at the pivot point, inside the steering column. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what now? BTW, I'm a pretty good wrench, but I've never tried, or even had the desire to try opening a multi-function steering column.

Uncle Deer-in-the-Headlights

Reply to
uncle K

Simplest solution is a used column from the wreckers - should be about an hour's work. You will want to switch your ignition cyl so be sure to either get the keys with the replacement or get it sans cyl.

Reply to
clare