AODE downshift problem

1995 Lincoln Town Car 130,000 miles. My AODE is starting to misbehave. When downshifting under light-moderate throttle from 2 to 1 (for example, going uphill at low speed), the transmission feels like it goes into neutral and the engine revs freely. I have a hill near my house were I can reproduce this problem consistently. Backing off the throttle puts the tranny back in 2, and it pulls fine. I also occassionally detect some slip in 2, but I can't be sure whether it's normal converter slip or not.

The tranny is 100% OEM. Fluid and filter have been changed at 30K intervals, since I have owned the vehicle. Fluid level is in spec.

The car is in fantastic condition otherwise, so I want to get my AODE back to good. Any ideas?

Rodney

Reply to
RodneyMyers

It that year was on that had the electronic transmission position selector sensor on the side of the transmission it could be it's going bad. A relatively inexpensive fix.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

my 91 marquis does the same thing,,i 5hink its a normal problem with aode,transmissions,my 85 ltd brougham did the same thing,,its a ford thing ,,id say if you love the car,and want to keep it,r/r the trnsmission

Reply to
mobilemechanic76