Bottomless pit of lost keys

I have a 1994 Thunderbird LX with electric seats. In the wintertime, my hands are dry and it's easy to drop a key between the drivers seat and the console. There are several down there and I can't fish *any* of them out.

I've dug and dug with my hands, a screwdriver, and a magnetic tipped tool. Nothing is retrieved.

Anybody know a trick for getting my keys back?

Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

Turn the car upsode down???

No, serously - are the keys on rings, or naked? Is it possible to see them? Perhaps get a remote inspection camera to snake in to locate them, then go in with a mini-claw pickup tool or a wire hook?

If not you MAY need to resort to removing the seat.

Reply to
clare

Some naked, one with one of those tiny vinyl covers.

No. They are evidently between 2 rails.

I got a mini-claw, but if I can't see them ...

Any guidance on how to do it?

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

4 bolts. Hopefully not rusted all to heck What year and model did you say? Generally one bolt in the front of each side-rail horizontally, and 0ne in the back of each rail vertically. Sometimes 2 in each, usally at the rear. Quite likely a snap-on cover over the bolts - sometimes a couple of small screws holding the caps on..

If not rusted, 20 minutes out and in with a 3/8 rachet set and the proper sockets/extentions

Reply to
clare

I've never tried this but it seems like it might work. Wear eye protection and get a air hose with a nozzle on the end and see if you can blow them out.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yeah, don't buy Ford crap!

Get a decent German or Japanese car!

Reply to
Jon

When I drop my keys down there I usually move the seat all the way forward, or back, and then go in either from the floor on the front or the floor on the back -- under the seat. This method has never failed me, but I guess a bent coat hanger would help a lot. This also works for coins, pens, condoms or whatever.

Reply to
Sheldon

A combination of seat positioning and bent coat-hanger did the trick.

Many thanks to all.

Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw