AC Compressor...2006 Elantra

The AC compressor started making noise the other day and tonite the belt that runs the compressor started smoking..Noticed it when the wife pulled into the garage.No cold air...I'm going to take it to the dealership or local garage if they will do extended warrantee work next week as it is covered under it..Bought the warranty at the dealership when car was bought new..

Question 1..Will the car run with the ac belt removed or should I just get it towed ?? It appears to have it's own seperate belt..

Question 2.. Can extended warrantee work be done at local shops ??

Thanks for any advice...

Reply to
benick

Yes if it has a separate belt it's ok to remove it. To answer your second question you have to check the terms of your warranty. They aren't all the same and some are more restrictive than others in what they allow and what procedures you have to follow to get reimbursed.

Reply to
mulder

Yes, no reason to tow. If the belt was smoking, it is probably shot anyway.

Read your policy or call them. They may specify the shops or dealer you can use. Some are restrictive.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The A/C has its own belt. Cut it off. I can't help with the warranty question.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Thanks guys..Will cut it off and call the warrantee company...

Reply to
benick