catalyst converter heat shield

I lost one of the heat shields (underside)of the Ford Escort 1.9LX, any where to get a spare? or the whole unit to be replaced?

Appreciate any help.

Sam

Reply to
sams

Loss of a heat shield is not uncommon on a ford. The welds crack and give you a buzzing sound at certain rpms. Ford's fix for this is a couple of very large hose clamps. I haven't seen a replacement part from ford yet, they of course want to sell you the entire cat for several hundred dollars. The only option you have is to pull one at a salvage yard or to go without.

If you go without keep in mind that when parking be sure not to park over leaves etc. It could be a fire hazard. I've seen quite a few cars go without and never have a problem.

Reply to
PC PODD

A muffler shop may be able to help you on this one...They may have some used converters to rob a shield from.

Otherwise, a wrecking yard would have stacks of them ready to give up their shields.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

just about anyplace that fixes this is going to use some oversized hose clamps to hold it on... if it is missing and you no longer have it you can take some sheet metal either thin steel or aluminum from a hardware store and make one to shied the heat... and use the hose clamps or you might want to use a rivet gun to hold it on (just make sure you drill the holes in the sheet metal to sheetmetal that you added and not into the exhaust system..... hope this helps....

Reply to
jim

The Home Depot near me sells individual hose clamps. One 7" diameter one fit perfectly around it. Take off the splash shield first and it should be real easy. If you have a Lowes nearby go get some metric stainless steel hex head bolts M6-1.0 - 16mm to replace the rusted bolts in the splash shield.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

If its not the top one, dont worry...if it is the one on top next to the floor, you can get stainless shield from a metal shop and tack it on.

Reply to
<hoytd