Check Eng Light on only when I accelerate - Help

Hi, I have been getting a Check Engine Light only when I accelerate when I drive, once I let off the gas the light goes out. Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting - The car is old 88 t-bird V8 169K miles - I really don't notice any serious issues caused from it, I am thinking it may be a pressure issue, like a vacuum leak or fuel injection problem. Your thoughts??? Thanks, Tony

Reply to
kojmorbid

probably egr related; once you get the charging prob fixed have the codes read out.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"kojmorbid" wrote

If you have a little piece of wire, you can check the codes yourself...

The connectors are on the driver's side, by the strut tower.

Hook up the wire, get in, turn the key to "on" (not start) and count the flashes.

Here's a car with code 23 "now" and 46 "continuous" (in memory).....

Ignore initial flashing, 2, 3, pause, 2, 3, big pause, 1, big pause, 4, 6, pause, 4, 6

Reply to
MasterBlaster