Check Transmission Light

2003 Windstar. 108xxx miles. I haven't seen it yet, but the wife called in a panic that the transmission warning light came on while she was driving to work. She said it was running all right. I checked the fluid level and all is good. No burning. Nice pink/red color. I checked the manual and could find no mention of a tranny light. I drove it around the parking lot and all seemed fine with no lights. I've just read horror stories about this tranny. Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply to
J Wald

The very first thing to do is calm down a notch or six.....

There is no transmission warning light.... There is an "overdrive off" lamp.... if it is on solid, it is because someone turned it there.... if it is flashing, this is an AX4N.... with over 100K on the car...

But... the very first thing to do is verify what light came on.... Scanning for codes with a more capable scan tool (no, not the joke the parts store uses) to see if any CMDTCs are in the memory of any of the many modules on this van MAY help....

Reply to
Jim Warman

If it's similar to the Taurus/Sable setup, there is a transmission light. It's in the shape of a gear with an exclamation point in the middle.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I must be blind then... On the few Windstars I have worked on, the only light with an exclamation point in it that I recall is the tire pressure warning light.... In the owner guide (3rd printing is the one I checked) same thing... even into the workshop manual....

If I am wrong, I apologize, but.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The wife is telling me that the *light* she saw was a notice in the info screen. The same area that gives system info, mile to empty, compass, temp, etc.... .

Reply to
J Wald

You know... the single most remarkable thing about this thread is that it isn't my van.... it isn't my wallet... yet I am reading an owners manual I don't own and you are not reading the one you do own....

Page 68 in your owners manual.... Not much of a description to be had.... I am sorry... knowing what I do about the AX4N (in your Windstar it is likely designated 4F50N - same shit, same pile) I would guess that there may be some budget alterations in your house this year.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, I appreciate your help, but I did read the areas of the owners manual that I thought might be useful. As I didn't know until today that the warning was in the message center, I read the warning lights section on page 10. I perused the transmission section on pages 215 & 225. Transaxle pages140,223,226. I missed the message center. To honest, I don't know if I would have ever looked there without know that was where the message showed up. I went to the problem item looking for info. I should have expanded my search. So, if I get your drift here, my fears of a total tranny meltdown are most possibly true? What, specifically, DO you know about the AX4N? I've read some horror stories but, is this inevitable? If a rebuild is in order, is there a fix to be applied? I'm not too high on my local dealer for service, but there is a good transmission shop close. Is there any reason not to go to the dealer? Thanks.

Reply to
J Wald

I took the van to work with the expectation of going to the dealer for service. The warning came on about 25 miles into the trip, but it ran fine. When I got into town, I noticed a whining sound, similar to a low fluid power steering pump, at slow town speed. With a load applied at higher speed it was fine. Dealer says no work till Fri. so I called the tranny shop. I didn't get

2 miles from work and the tranny gave out. It just went into a nuetral condition. That's my luck. 2 miles short of the garage and it won't make it. Now I gotta' add a tow to the repair.
Reply to
J Wald

Reply to
BK68