Class Action Police Cruiser Update (Crown-Vic)

This is good for a laugh. Of course the plaintiff's attorney alleges coercion on the part of Ford because they won't sell Crown Vics to PDs involved in the suit.

GMAFB!

15 rear-end collisions wind up in fiery infernos. How about some scientific basis using a control group of Impalas to see if they fair any better?
Reply to
sleepdog

I think a better comparison would be to compare the CV's to Toyota Echo's (Toyota's the gold standard right?).

I mean if the CV has a fire after being rear ended by a truck @ 100MPG An Echo or Impala or Smart car should be fine in a similar accident no?

Reply to
Some ga

lmfao yup prolly would the rear axles prolly wouldent shear off too

lmfao hurc ast

Reply to
3 dog nite

Wasn't this foolishness put to bed last summer? Who keeps trying to bring it up?

I hope Ford does deny sales to anyone who is still pursuing this bullshit. The vehicle far surpasses Federal requirements in this area.

Reply to
Mark

Yes, Toyotas are very crash worthy. I pick one out the wheel wells of my Lincoln now and then, and they look like new. Just a little smaller than before.

Rodney

Reply to
rodney

The NHTSA studied the rear collision situation involving 1992 to

2002 CV two years ago. The result of the testing showed the CV far exceeded the federal standard for damage to the fuel tank. The standard is 30 MPH, the CV is designed to take a 50 MPH hit without damage to the fuel tank. The CV safety margin was dramatically apparent when the FWD Chevrolet and the FWD Dodge vehicles, the only others certified police vehicles on the market, where stuck at the same speed and destroyed at 50 MPH. The NHTSA closed its investigation of CV fires, with a finding that the CV was indeed safe as designed for its intended use.

The shark lawyers are simply trying to find another avenue to get Ford to pay off their legal costs, now that the NHTSA ruling has eliminated any chance of them winning a product liability case against Ford in any court.

By the way Toyota is a Japanese corporation and can only be sued in Japanese courts that do not allow class action cases or the large punitive damages, where the shark lawyers make their millions

mike hunt

Some ga wrote:

mike hunt

Reply to
Mikehunt

lmfao where??

cv are CRAP

hurc ast

Reply to
marvin

yup meanwhile how many police has ford killed???

hurc ast

Reply to
marvin

How can a guy who claims to know so much about cars be so far wrong to call the CV crap? The CV is cheaper to buy, insure, maintain and repair than anything in it price class. The CV is without a doubt the best car available in the US today at anywhere close to its price range. Every other car in that range is much smaller and with nothing more than a V6 engine. Given the proper maintaining the CV will easily outlast anything else in that price range as well. No other police vehicle even comes close to holding up as good as the CV. We serves them all by the thousands. Look at the Taxi fleets in NYC there are hundreds of them running with 500,000 miles to 1,000,000 miles in the toughest use a vehicle can be subjected too and on some of the worst street in the country. Give us a brake. Nobody here cares if you don't like Ford vehicles so don't talk stupid when trying to denigrate them

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@mars.com wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Ford didn't kill anyone. The drivers of the vehicles, that hit the parked CV, did that. For the record more police officers we killed, during that time period on bicycle patrol than died in a CV when they were hit in the rear at high speed.

Try doing some research before you choose to comment on a subject that you obviously have little or no knowledge, WBMA. If you did perhaps then your posts would not make you look so foolish so often

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@mars.com wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

why mike police were killed

hurc ast

Reply to
mindy5734

and thats when you woke up

lmfao

hurc ast

Reply to
mindy5734

Compared to a 500SEL? Yup. Compared to ANYTHING in it's price range? Nope!

Keep in mind part of the reason for the fuel tank punctures is the unapproved "devices" that police carry in the trunks of their cruisers. (that's what's puncturing the tanks & causing the fires).

Reply to
Some ga

what are you saying? dont put stuff in trunk?????

hurc ast

Reply to
mindy5734

I'm saying that if you don't want a punctured fuel tank don't defeat the purpose of the crumple zone with rigid objects. The crumple zone is designed that way for a purpose.

So to dumb it down for you. "Yes, If you are going to be rear-ended by a truck carrying 30 Tonnes @ 50+ MPH make sure that your trunk is empty or at least that you don't have steel implements pointed in the direction of your fuel tank between your rear bumper and the path of the crumple zone.

Reply to
Some ga

Ahhh. A chebie fan, I see. LOL!

Reply to
Mark

No class action suits against Schwinn or Huffy?? What the heck is wrong with them lawyers, anyway? :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Dave Starr, Senior Shop Rat Emeritus: 14,647 days in a GM plant.

David Starr