Coil Packs

I just recently had the dealer replace a coil pack on my 2001 Expedition due to a rough idle condition. I had no idea these packs were so expensive (parts & labor). What ever happened to standard plugs and wires? Does anyone have the wiring diagram/engine layout so I can do these myself next time (hopefully there won't be). Because at $250 each with a V8 thats not cheap.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
357B

They are not standard any more. The new coil packs don't have to be replaced all that often. The plugs go up to 100,000 without replacement. The truck is more reliable, requires fewer repairs (no distributer caps, rotor, etc. to replace), and saves money over the long-haul. Plus, it also saves fuel, because it helps keep the engine more fuel efficent and decreases the release of unburned hydrocarbons (good for the environment).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

lmfao bing wrong answer jeff its the $$$$$$ ford wants

huec ast

Reply to
phanks

lmfao bing wrong answer jeff its the $$$$$$ ford wants

huec ast

Reply to
ygotit

Coil Packs are in the $50 to $75 range. It is the labor that kills you. Also, I suspect they threw a $65 diagnosis fee into that $250 total. You probably could have had all eight coil packs replaced for around $500. Ford issued a TSB on coil packs warning dealers that coils packs were being replaced when they were not actually bad (Ford climed 50% of the coil packs replaced under warranty were not bad). Also when you have the plugs done, I'd suggest asking for new boots. These can fail just like spark plug wires. Lazy mechanics replace the coil packs when these fail......

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

I'm not convinced Jeff. The old coils did not need to be replaced "all that often", either. Todays plugs will go

100k miles in a distributor system or conventional multi-plug coil packs but, if you are in a corrosive atmosphere, you probably should check or change them at half that just to make sure they can be removed. As far as reliabilty, I have not seen that to be an issue for many years even with distributors. As far as cost effective, I don't see that either when you can replace an entire ignition system for what about a set of coil packs cost with installation. I do not see an increase in fuel efficiency either - at least not just because of coil packs. You can only ignite the charge at the proper time and you won't have any more spark at the plug than it takes to bridge the gap at that time. Hydrocarbons won't be an issue in any system that ignites a proper fuel charge at the correct time.

I guess I just can't imagine having 8 coils where each cost more than a single coil would cost as being cost efficient or more reliable and durable. I've seen too many of the Ford and Nissan COP packs fail just over 100k miles to believe they are any more reliable. I suspect other manufactures are about the same. I am not a big fan of caps, rotors and wires but, I am not convinced the COP is a big improvement unless the manufacturers can greatly improve the long term durability of the parts themselves. There is no excuse for not being able to make waterproof boots nor for having coils that fail just because they got wet.

Not a flame response, Jeff. Just my $0.02 - nothing more Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

2000 Sable, Duratec. Just paid dealer $75 for a COP coil, hope the other 5 hold out. List is $95 and they aren't available at NAPA yet. Darn thing ohm checked OK too but the swap test confirmed bad coil.
Reply to
Repairman

Are you sure the boot wasn't bad? I am not familar with the Duratec coils. The modular V-8s include a very long boot/conductor which is nothing more than a spark plug wire. These can fail just like regular spark plug wires. My 1997 Expedition had one coil pack replaced in 147,000 miles. My

2001 Mustang and my Thunderbird have never had one fail.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You can buy a full set of coil packs on Ebay for approximately $100 USD which from what I am told is less than the cost of one at a dealer. I agree, this system is not superior to conventional ingnition systems.

Rich

Rich