Diesel Escort difficult to start

I have a 1993 escort 1.8 diesel

The past two weeks the car has been difficult to start from cold.

Am i correct in thinking that the glow plugs are in need of replacement?

Could this be a diesel pump issue??

thanks guys

vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas

It's one of those two things. If it runs fine once you've started it, and you are talking about temps in the 40's, then it is the glow plug(s) - NOTE: you might have just ONE or TWO that have burned out, so you have to test each one of them to see which one(s) are bad. - RM

"it is axiomatic that a problem with a diesel is a fuel problem."

- Soul of a New Machine

Reply to
RickMerrill

Hi I also had a problem with starting up (same vehicle), i would have to start it twice and then just about get it turning over, the other day it just stopped, dead, nothing! it wouldnt start. I called AA and he said starter motor needs changing. Done that! (£80 ouch!) now it starts first time every time.

Reply to
Raj2004

generally its just a glow plug issue, never owned a ford diesel so it could be different but its a simple engine so probably not, but my vw diesel also had some sort of glow plug fuse box(dont remember the name) it tells the glow plugs to glow and those can go bad, on my vw it would usually warn with you a clicking sound before it went bad

Reply to
Petebert