ebay mod chip

someone told me about these mod chips on ebay, are they any good or just garbage? I did a search for windstar chip and found a ton, here's one

Petebert

tom

The only chip that would be worth a crap is one set up for your specific engine, car, and/or application.

That means you would also need a pretty expensive trip to a dyno and a spec sheet telling the tech what you wanted out of it.

Then you might get 10 HP more. But figure the same percentage decrease for fuel economy. Unlike others, I dont have a problem with someone who wants to 'hop up' a Minivan, but you have to bear in mind that your engine is designed to get max performance/reliability/economy over the long haul. And to change any of those factors results in drop in one or both of the others.... no 'free lunch'!

The days are gone when you can take an engine with a 2bbl carb, stick on a certain 4bbl intake and carb and get both better power and economy. Or - like on a 59 Pontiac Bonneville- installing an open exhaust gets you

20 hp. {For those that weren't 'there' those high power GM's were so restrictive they sounded like a gigantic steam leak at full throttle}

I suggest a trip to the library to check on books explaining how modern EFI works.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

EVERYTHING on Ebay is garbage....... Buy someone elses trash - shop ebay !!!

Reply to
goyer

If I add all of these fuel mileage and power boosting products to my car it should eventually have 500 HP and actually make fuel, right? ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

No it isnt, i've gotten quite a few good buys on there, but I'm pretty selective and look close at feedback

.... obviously YOU are a sucker, if you've had that many bad experiences.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You must have been using metallic duct tape to hold your foil cap on, right? How many times must I say it.......

Reply to
Tom Adkins

i've gotten plenty of good stuff there, new keyless entrys, those cheap manuals on cd, before those where popular, the complete ford factory set of manuals for the 90 taurus i once owned. I figured the chip was garbage especially since it was an add on chip and not a main chip replacement. And theres nothing wrong with gettng extra HP in a minivan, thats like buying a

4 cylinder Freestar if one was available because its only a minivan, I think the 99 is rated at 220 or so and it cruises pretty nice on the highway and has the extra power to pass when needed.

Reply to
Petebert

Not that many. After about the 4th piece of junk I bought on Ebay, I told Ebay to remove my account and will never go back there. I now have Ebay locked out in my HOSTS file because there are far too many google links to it. Back when Ebay first began, I got a few deals on books. Books cant be screwed up too badly, but once I started buying anything else such as tools, all I got was crap. Now a days even the books are a ripoff. You get a $10 book for $1 and they charge $12 to ship and handle it. I'll just do business with real stores and leave Ebay for the clueless.

Reply to
goyer