unknown problem

Car was cruising along when i heard a grinding sound. All of a sudden the engine stopped. i was at an intersection, i tried to restart but all i got
was a whirling kinda grind sound. the engine was turning over and almost started but no cigar. what could it be.
Could be a number of things, you should probably give a little more information about the vehicle (model, mileage, etc) so that people can attempt to help you :)
Good luck
------------------------------------ http://www.carforums.net Auto Forums
car is a ford contour 98, 95,000 miles on it. 4 cylinder with a rebuilt trans. cruising along when a whirling grinding noise started. the engine stopped dead. i tried to restart, the engine tried to turn over and almost did but no cigar. what could it be.
1 possibillity is timing belt tensioner bolt broke, pull cover to make sure your timing belt is turning

A seized water pump probably took out the timing belt.

engine type, any OTHER symptoms prior to failure, etc.
you pay..DEAL with it!