New to group, and need help...

I'm trying to restore my Grandpas 1965 Ford F250 and I could really use some help... I've been working on this truck - on and off - for years but now I really need to get focused and get it done. Being such a simple, basic vehicle you would think it would be easy to do - but it seems like every time I go into a parts store, the kids behind the counter have no clue how to look up parts for something that's not in the computer. Took them 30 min. to get me a set of points for the thing and the kid helping me had no clue as to what purpose they served. currently, I'm working on the steering column, I'm looking for the pin that connects the shifter lever to the 3 speed column shift collar. I just ordered the other related parts from LMC but they don't carry the pin and I don't have the original. Does anyone know of a good source for these? Or maybe something else besides a screw, bailing wire and duct tape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

-Dave

Reply to
dbpbandit

Don't know what kind of pin it is, but if it's a common roll pin, any good hardware store should have a good selection to pick from.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Did you try Ford parts dept?

also has some stuff for older cars. Here's a parts list for a '65 F250 on eBay:

Occasionally you can find someone parting out an old truck on eBay but you have to keep looking.

Have fun. This is why I told my daughter that if she wants a '65 Mustang she needs to marry an auto mechanic ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

I believe that's all it is, a common roll pin. Try to find a nail or something that fits semi-tightly in the hole and take that with you to the hardware store and just ask the clerk for that size roll pin... He should be able to fix you right up, or at least one close enough to work..

Reply to
websurfer

And you might try a real autoparrts store - NAPA. A good size napa store will have those pins in stock and be able to find most any part you need. They do NOT sell scooters like PEP Boys. Carquest also supplies the "trade" and does not really go after the weekend mechanic -

If you become a regular at a real store, you will probably find one of the guys who knows your truck pretty well - most of the counter people are ex- mechanics.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Someone there WILL have your answer.

Reply to
mikecarson_07

If it's a roll pin you need, a set of drills is good for measuring hose size. If it's a 3/16 hole, don't ask for a 3/16 pin. Say "A roll pin for a

3/16" hole." They squeeze down a bit and stay tight. McMaster-Carr has them, but not everyone gets to shop there. If you find them on WWW you will also find a wealth of information about spring pins.

Bill M

Reply to
Bill M

Thanks for all of the feedback. I did try all of the "real" auto parts stores and surprisingly I came across a few older guys who actually knew what I was talking about. I also talked to a guy over at a "commercial" Ford truck parts dealer. He looked for about 10 min and finally found it in a book. Unfortunately, it isn't a roll pin, that would just fall straight through, it's a "Spring Pin" and Ford no longer makes/carries them. I also hit a couple of wrecking yards and the few 3 speeds I found all had the shifter rigged with something else. I will keep looking until I get my parts in but if I can't find one I guess I will have to make one. If I figure something out I will let you all know. Thanks again....

-Dave

-----

"I used to have a handle on life - but it broke"

Reply to
dbpbandit

Dave, Go to a junkyard(s) and look at everything with a column shifter.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

A roll pin IS a spring pin. Just two ways to say the same thing.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Are you sure about that? Seems to me a roll pin is solid, whereas a spring pin, although similar in looks, is hollow and has an open slot along it's length. When driven into a slightly smaller hole than the diameter of the spring pin, it will compress slightly to hold it in position.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

An afterthought to the OP - both types of pins can be found in various sizes and diameters in the hardware bins of any decent hardware store.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

Roll pins and spring pins are both hollow and they are both rolled spring steel. There are several different variations, though.

Check out the Slotted spring pin and the Toothed Rolled Pin. They are the same except for the slot design.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a dowel pin as a roll pin. Thanks.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

This is exactly what I've always considered a roll pin. Use 'em at work almost every day.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Believe it or not, I just got my parts from LMC. The Shift Collar that I purchased actually comes with a pin designed to fit. Looks like it is somewhat different than the original, but if it works, I'm happy. Now if I could just find my steering wheel puller..... Thanks for all the advice and help.

-Dave

-----