Escort 1.9 Stalls, Help with codes

The wife drives a 1992 escort wagon model, 1.9 ltr engine, stick shift. She is complaining about it dying as she progresses thru gears. Happens about 4 times a week. She has also complained about a strange excessive rev, over speed at times.

I replaced the fuel pump, filter about 3 months ago because of the miles on the car, about 120k. When she first noticed the engine dying, i replaced spark plugs. One plug had a strange pitting on the outside electrode. It looked like the dusting that you might see from a plasma sprayer. Last nite i put a code reader on the car and got a code 22.

Can someone tell me What the MAP sensor looks like and where i might find it in the engine compartment?

The failure, dying of the engine seems similar to the way my voyager died when the throttle body became dirty. I used to spray cleaner into the throttle body to clean it. On the escort it states that cleaner will harm the sensor mounted on the throttle body. Has anyone cleaned this, and how do you do it?

Finally, The gage for water temp is not showing movement. Where is the connection for the engine temp? I think i knocked it off when i replaced the thermostat last winter. But i can not find the sensor. at least not near the thermostat is located. I removed the ignition coil pack, and took may hand and a mirror looked under the thermostat, no luck. Any help?

Reply to
ECricket77

On 20 Jul 2003 18:56:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ECricket77) wrote: Leading into the 'carb' from the breather assembly... is a box that has two tamper proof torx bolts holding a lid. Inside is the sensing unit for air to fuel ratio mixing.. over time these wires get gummed up and need cleaning/replacement. They will cause the car to intermittently have erratic idle and/or highway operation. Start there...

Can someone tell me What the MAP sensor looks like and where i might find it in

Reply to
Lefty

Lefty opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Bullshit

He asked where the "MAP" was.. you are describing the MAF and his code said there might be a problem with the MAP sensor .. which has a small tube running to it from the manifold vacuum. And a multiwire plug.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic