Excessive Tyre Wear on Fiesta?

Hi,

my Continental EcoContiContact EP 175-6514TR tyres on the front of a 3 year old diesel Ford Fiesta are at an average tread depth of 2mm - these were new one year ago and have done 15,000 English miles; is this acceptable?

btw, the wear is even, and no, I do not drive like Michael Schumacher... ;-)

Thanks in advance...

-- Susan

Reply to
Tiscali

What pressure did you run the tires at? is the wear Uniform? i.e.did the rears wear out at the same time as well?

If the toe in/out is incorrect you can get an even rapid wear. You might not drive like Micheal Schumacher but if you've got 3 aunt Bertha's in your car and you drive regularly in the Dales with numerous tight corners on steep hills driving close to the speed limit you will scrub the tires off quite quickly.

If you drive in the Dales and you take your corners "square" that is quite a good rate of wear.

If you're in Lincolnshire and drive like an experienced OAP I'd get your alignment checked.

Reply to
joe schmoe

hiya,

as joe says, plus you've got quite a heavy engine, on relatively small tyres doing all the driving, steering and braking. 15k miles ain't too bad.

pottsy

Tyres run at 31psi (think this is what the door label says)... no heavy loads, mainly just driver - live in Bedfordshire (close to Milton Keynes, which is rounderbout city though)...

Even wear, different make of tyres on rear...

I believe all the tracking and geometry thing was done a year ago when the tyres were fitted...

-- Susan

Reply to
Tiscali

That being the case it is likely "normal" wear for those brand of tires (tyres).

Keep in mind when you go to replace that a harder wearing tire might not have the same traction. Try looking for a tire with a tread wear rating of 300 plus (Toyo 800's used to hold up well as well as some Michilens) ideally with an A temperature and traction rating

Another thing that can preserve tread depth is to wait until you are rolling to turn your steering wheel. Turning your steering on a stationary vehicle will scrub the tread off quite rapidly. Smoothly around corners, smooth starts and stops, etc, etc will also preserve tread, Though you do want tires to wear out before they become old, hard and slippery

Best of luck

Reply to
joe schmoe