Ford and Mazda

How many percent is Mazda owned by Ford Motor Company? A few years ago (perhaps over 5 years ago), I saw on TV that the president of Ford Motor Co. mentioned that Ford owned 25% of Mazda. Do they own Mazda more now? If it is only 25%, how come Ford include Mazda in their flagship? In addition, how many percent does Ford own Volvo, and Jaguar? I went to Mazda's website, and there is nothing mentioned that it is owned by Ford. Thanks for info

Reply to
aniramca

Ford owns 33.4% of Mazda

and all of Volvo and Jaguar.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Foreign individuals or companies can not 'own' a Japanese company, as 'Boon' Pickens discovered. The max amount was 25% up until a number of years ago when it was raised to 33.5%. That is the reason that the company that developed the current hybrid power system developed jointly by Ford, via Volvo, and another Japanese auto company, whose name escapes me at the moment, could be bought by Toyota and not Ford. The three auto companies are cross licensed to the technology.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Could you please learn to stop top-posting? It makes it really hard to follow the thread.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There are some things that are worth getting bent out of shape about and top posting, bottom posting or inline posting are not on my list of things to get upset about.

Reply to
Fuzzy

Nor mine.

I am nor upset at all.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That's a good thing, because some of us prefer top posting. I agree bottom posting makes sense if people would trim....... but most of them don't.

Reply to
Bob

Ford olso own or part own :

Mercury (US) Lincoln

Mazda (Japan)

Volvo (Sweden)

Aston Matrin Landrover Jaguar

Hertz Quick Fit (uk)

JCB (the UK digger manufacturer) recently made an offer on Jaguar.

Reply to
Vertuas

Hertz was sold, I think last year. So Ford no longer owns it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for the info. My main question still remains. If Ford only owns 33.5% of Mazda, did Mazda gives a blessing for Ford to assume Mazda under their wings? It is odd that you assume that you own other company, if you only own

33.5%. Perhaps there is somekind of agreement that Ford can put Mazda under its umbrella? I own 0.00000000001% of Microsoft stock (just an example), but I cannot say to everybody that I own MS ?

Regard> > Ford olso own or part own :

Reply to
aniramca

33.9% gives Ford effective control of Mazda. Ford has the right to appoint board members and the CEO, etc. In theroy the other Mazda shareholders could decide to overrule Ford decisions, but in practice this doesn't happen. Much of Mazda's recent sucess can be attributed to Mark Fields. Ford moved him from Madza back to Ford. Although Ford controls Mazda, Mazda isn't integrated into Ford like Jaguar, Rover, or Volvo.

Ref:

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

or bottom. I say the same to my wife!

Reply to
Spam away

It looks to me like Ford and Mazda production and parts are quite integrated. Reference

-the small Ford & Mazda SUV,

-the Ford new 3.0L V6,

-the Ford & Mazda 4 cyl engine, etc.

Reply to
Ford?

The Mazda6 and Fusion are built on the same platform. The Mustang and Mazda6 are built in Flatrock at the Ford and Mazda owned Auto Alliance plant. So there is a bit of sharing betwen the two.

Reply to
HerkyJerky