Ford Escape stereo installation question.

I have a 2001 Ford Escape with the MACH system/6-changer. Recently I got a new Alpine head unit in order to accept an AUX input, but I was told by the installer that the head unit could not drive the factory amplifier. The amplifier only drives the factory subwoofer to my understanding. I now miss the subwoofer, as crummy as it is. Were they correct in telling me that the head unit cannot drive the amplified?

I am also interested in replacing the speakers, but have had a hard time finding information that will help me install new speakers myself. Crutchfield has no info on this car. I've been told that there are two pairs of 6x8s in the doors, and tweeters on the front columns. Is this correct?

Is there any information available that can guide me through the self-installation process? And does anyone have any speaker recommendations?

Thanks...

- Mike in Chicago

- yo snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
M.G.

Your best bet would be to try

Numerous people there have upgraded their sound systems and can probably answer all your questions. I found that site to be a wealth of info. Tom F.

Reply to
Tom F.