Problem with Escort 1.6 16V Zetec-E Sefi engine

I am hoping that someone here can help. I have a P reg Escort 16V with the Zetec-E SEFi engine (1600). Everything was running fine, until i used a set of jump leads to help someone start their car.

When accelerating gently, the revs rise as normal, and when the clutch is pressed or the car is taken out of gear, the revs drop down to about 1000 rpm as normal.

However, if i accelerate hard and depress the clutch, the revs stay at 3,000 and take a few minutes to return to normal.

This happens when the engine is both hot and cold.

I guess it could be one of two things. Either i buggered the ECU when i used the jump leads, or one of the sensors that supply the ECU has gone.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "load" sensor on this model, or have any other ideas

many thanks for any help you can offer Neal

Reply to
NealUK

If you knackered the ECU it wouldn't run, heh. That's good news then...

It may be something rather more innocent, like a sticky throttle cable or idle control valve. I suspect that it's coincidence that you helped somebody jump start, or perhaps you dislodged something under the bonnet when attaching the leads.

Reply to
DervMan

This is perfectly normal. Its the programming of the ECU to reduce emissions, combined with the ECU responding from the roadspeed signal (as the car is moving) in holding up the revs for:

a) maximising vacuum for the brake servo b) lowering emissions (again) c) to reduce likely hood of stalling.

If you had damaged the ECU you'd be on the back of a breakdown truck with the engine completely dead.

You may find that the ECU will re-learn its idle-strategy, or can be forced to by way of a reboot (make sure you have the radio code etc to hand) and the idle-flare (Ford term) will reduce alittle, but really its nothing to worry about.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.