Ford Probe

Hi , I need some help diagnosing a problem on a 1989 Ford probe 2.3 engine auto with 155K miles. Recently it started to run very rough and sometimes stalls when stopped an intersection. If it is put into neutral it runs perfect. This car has an otpion to push a button and force you to shift manully. When I have it it that position and keep it in drive the car does not run rough when stopped. I am thinking it has something to do with the transmission. I have checked the usual suspects like air filter and ecg valve. It may have a head gasket problem but I am confused why it works fine in neutral.

Any help is appreciated. Tom

Email is not the real thing

Reply to
Tom

Try posting your question at

(1st-Gen. forum). And if your '89 Probe has a 4-cyl. engine, it's a 2.2, not a 2.3.-- Jim

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Tom) wrote in :

Reply to
Jim

Saw few of these with a ripped air intake duct (look closely in the bellows).... as the motor torques over, the gap opens up and unmmetered air is allowed into the motor. The symptoms on those were slightly different but looking is cheap....

Reply to
Jim Warman