FORD RANGER 1989 2WD FRAME RUST (OUT) !!

I just bought a 1989 Ford Ranger 2WD for $250. Runs perfect, but there is major frame rust (rust-out) at the front driver side rear spring mount. The mount that attaches to the frame is holding only at one side, and there is a big hole on the side of the frame right behind the mount---the rest of the truck is fine, and I want to take off the box and repair the frame and spring mount---any suggestions? Thanks again for your help. Fred

Reply to
septicman

Take the box off to inspect the entire rear frame, then take it to have the bad spots welded up with some new iron.

Reply to
sleepdog

Steel would be a much better choice ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
sleepdog

Reply to
septicman

I have seen and repaired many Rangers with rusted spring mounts. I've never seen the actual frame rusted through. The spring mount problem is very common here in NE Ohio. I guess that you could have the damaged area plated if you really wanted to go that far. You will find that all 4 spring mounts will need to be replaced along with both shackles and some of the through bolts. The mounts etc, are available from Ford. About $200 will get it all. It usually doesn't end there, though. With the box off, you'll also see how badly rusted the steel brake lines are, along with the tubes on the fuel sender. (and how easy they are to access). You really need to consider if you really want to open this particular can of worms on a $250 truck.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

i've seen this on all types of vehicles... here in canada where we use salt on the roads... its more than common.

Reply to
Picasso

spring mounts. I've never seen the

Reply to
septicman

Vertical? Horizontal? I'm not following you. For the sake of explanation, the wide part (vertical) that the spring mount bolts to is the web, the top and bottom parts (horixontal) are the flanges. If the web is rusted through, It can be plated on both sides with steel plate then redrilled for the spring mount. If the flange is rusted, you may be able to plate it the same way. I was always told to NEVER weld or drill on the flange of a frame. This was in reference to OTR trucks though so take that for what you feel it's worth. You really need to have a welding shop look at it to see if the damage is actually repairable. Pull the box first so they (and you) can get a god look at all of the parts involved.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

If you have rust all the way through on both the web and flange of the C-channel frame, you need to replace that frame buddy. I would have a salvage yard cut a solid truck frame in half, and weld it to your truck. Many body shops can do a partial frame replacement without deteriorating the integrity of the frame itself. Just make sure you take it to a good body shop. Granted you will have to swap over all of the stuff from the rear portion of your current frame to the new one, but in the long run, it will probably be easier and safer than spot patching a bad frame.

I will say in the workshop manuals for FORD, that they dont recommend replacing any part of the frame in front of the first rear crossmember, or behind the first front crossmember as this will possibly impact crash safety for the vehicle... Only authorized repairs ford will make to a damaged frame is straigtening a bent frame and replacing frame horns, but they wont weld on anything in between the wheels.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech