Gas Guzzling Taurus?

97 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan, ~120,000 miles. (200,000km)

Seems that my gas milage has gone -way- down recently. Anywhere from

14-19MPG, depending how much I'm on the highway. There are no fuel system leaks, and the system holds pressure. Also the engine has a very infrequent miss at idle when warm (maybe once every 5 or 6 seconds, not on every revolution), and will occasionally ping on uphill grades (I fill from a high volume gas station, and my other car has no issues, so I'm pretty sure it's not the gasoline i'm using) No codes, no service engine light, engine is always run with mobil-1 synthetic (although it's almost due for a oil change), air filters changed recently, plugs and wires changed last spring.

I'm thinking maybe it's running too rich, due to... MAF sensor? Maybe a cleaning with 99% alcohol and a Q-Tip?

Reply to
Teknical

I'm assuming a recent tune up, including plug wires and all filters (and stock air filter). Contrary to popular belief, remove the Mass Air Sensor from the housing,you will need a tamper proof Torx bit, Clean the MAF bead with alcohol(carefully). It often helps with sudden poor fuel consumption and no other drivability issues. No guarantee though. Your Taurus has lots of miles\wear on it. If the 14-19 mpg is combo driving, that's about right. I do a bit more highway and my 98 gets ~18 overall. It's not a miser, but far from a guzzler like my 84 Mark VII (12mpg combined).

Reply to
Tom Adkins

!?? Our 94 3.0 Taurus sedan with ~145K on it got in the mid twenties on mostly highway.

Reply to
larwe

Yep, my '94 3.0 w/162k gets 24 mpg on the highway at 70 mph on average.

Reply to
Repairman

I averaged ~21-26 depending on highway use up to the last 2 months or so.

Reply to
Teknical

I get 25-26 onthe highway but only 16-17 around town. When checked from fill up to fill up the average is about 18-19. I have gotten as high as 28 on a long trip.

Reply to
Tom Adkins