Ghost in a Ranger Radio

This is an odd one -

My Mother has a 9 year old Ranger that she uses around our farm. It is no longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30 miles a week. Recently the radio stopped consistently turning off when the ignition is switched off. Sometimes it goes off sometimes it does not. This morning when I first left her house and walked by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back about 30 minutes later, I heard a radio playing in the driveway - sure enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but the ignition was off (and the key not even in the Ranger). I am assuming the problem is in the radio itself. Before I start tearing things apart, I thought I see if anyone else had seen a problem like this...

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Could it be a bad ignition switch? I mean the one that the keys turn.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't believe so; all the other accessories turn off as normal. I am guessing it is in the actual radio since the radio has an always hot feed (to keep the clock alive).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The radio stops playing when you turn off the ignition switch because it is no longer receiving power. Sounds like the radio is fine, but whatever cuts the power to the radio is not. Normally this would be a bad ignition switch but I don't know your particular vehicle so can't say if their is a computer or relays involved.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Some modern radios have TWO power connections, one for most of the radio functions, and a second just to keep the station selection storage and the clock functioning. It might be possible for the internal workings of the radio to develop some sort of misconnection (short) inside that applies power from the memory circuitry to get into the main functions.

That is similar to modern TVs. As long as they are plugged into wall, they are drawing power to run the internal clock and channel selection memory. The power switch operates only the higher power circuitry that actually recieves, processes, and displays the video and audio.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Does the power switch on the radio itself shut it off? Is it a factory installed radio ? Shorts in add-ons ( trailer hitch lighting , fog lights , plow rig lighting, or add on electronics) might cause this situation. If the on/off switch on the radio does turn it off ,,when you find it on when you think it should be off I would , then I'd say it's the ignition switch. If the radio can't be turned off with its switch then I'd say the radio. There are two ( sometimes more / power ant. ) HOTS feeding radios , the keep alive feeding the clock function and station memory. and the power ON which is feed through the ing. key switch.

Reply to
samstone

Actually, the clock and channel selection memory don't require the set to be plugged in. It needs to be plugged in and draws power so that it can be turned on by the remote control. So you can turn off the tv with a power strip, which save a few watts of electricity. If everyone did this, the added power savings would be several megawatts and energy savings would be something like 10% of all electricity energy. And remember, this ends up as waste heat, which is often pumped out by air conditioners.

That's true. But the low-power circuitry and the transformer still use a lot of power, especially considering that the power usage has very little benefit.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

___________________ Or very simply, the main power supply to the radio itself is loose/bad at one end or both.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

C. E. White wrote: ( 1999 Ford Ranger )

The radio does not always turn off when the ignition is switched off. Sometimes it goes off, sometimes not. And this morning I walked by and the radio was off, but later, I heard music outside - the radio had turned itself on, with the ignition off and the key out. I am assuming the problem is in the radio. Before I start tearing things apart, has anyone else seen a problem like this... ______________________________________________________________

If it was a defective ignition switch, other accessories or dash instruments would also go on. There is a small possibility that it is a cross-connection with the always-on memory power supply. A third possibility is a defective power antenna. The antenna has a separate always-on power connection to retract itself when power from the radio is turned off. If the antenna power becomes accidentally cross-connected to the radio's antenna deploy line, it will keep the radio on. When the ghost radio is on, disconnect the power plug to the antenna. If the radio then goes off, that is the problem.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

longer an everyday truck, and is driven only 20 or 30

ignition is switched off. Sometimes it goes off

by the Ranger, the radio was off. When I came back

enough the radio in the Ranger had turned itself on, but

problem is in the radio itself. Before I start

guessing it is in the actual radio since the radio has an

The unit is powered on by applying a small voltage (usually by a "power" button) to the gate of a FET which then triggers the junction to allow current to flow across & the radio comes alive. The clock circuit is usually protected by a 1/2 amp fuse & if the entire load should come across it, it would blow the fuse. Most radios today are hot switched by the ignition switch & even if the FET (field effect transistor) should be shorted out, the key will have to be either in the ACC or ON position to pass power to the main circuit. Got me stumped on how the radio will power on if the key is removed (unless the ignition switch id defective.

Reply to
Shawn

My radio in the Jeep does this. In my case its the radio. Fred

Reply to
Fred

Granted, but the on/off switch doesn't function with the ignition key off, and it is not a mechanical switch. There appear to be two feeds to the radio.

I'd vote for the ignition switch, too.

(When you found the radio playing, did you shut it off by pushing the Power button? Or did you have to put the key in the ignition and change the position of the key to "ACC" or "ON"?)

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

How about the Yellow keep alive memory power supply wire that is always hot might be occasionally shorting in to the Red power wire from the ignition switch. The most likely place for that to happen is at the connector to the radio.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Mouton

Could it be Christine reincarnated? I vote with Kevin here on the cause if reincarnation is ruled out.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Is it possible that when this happens there is something plugged into the cig lighter or power outlet, such as a cell phone or other rechargeable device? If these devices aren't properly diode protected, they can power the entire cig lighter circuit with a small amount of current - enough to switch a relay or transistor.

Still, I think it's the radio. Why don't pull the radio partially out and have it ready for when this occurs, then test the wire harness at time of failure?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish