"GREEN" Cars?

Pardon me but these so-called GREEN cars aren't very green.

If they plug in to charge then it takes power production, which isn't done by windmills, to charge the car.

If it uses those hybrid, batteries run when needed then gas motor..you know what happens to those batteries when they're used up?

And what kind of environmental damage is done to MAKE those batteries for those "green" cars.

Why do environmentalists tell lies and people believe it so much?

Reply to
Bob Brown

Okay, for the record here, I like to breathe clean air as much as anybody, but, here goes.

Because it's an easy way to make lots of money! Let's pick on Al Gore for a minute. His whole life was/is a lawyer and politician. How much sweat do you think he's ever created? After politics, he is now head of some "green" company in Europe where he makes boco dollars and then he gets an Oscar for all of his environmental efforts. Of course his electrical bill is 20 times higher than the national average, but hey, it all comes from clean sources, right? (Yea, right) Meanwhile he drives around in a limo and testifies before Congress that people need to consume less energy. I guess he's not classified as a person.

According to scientists, the ozone layer is closing up decades before they calculated it should, if you can believe them either way. GOOD THING WE GOT RID OF R-12 WHEN WE DID! Oops, the third world countries still make and use it...... Back to the Oscars. It was stated that most of the actors came there in hybrids, but their limos were parked around the corner. Any truth to it? Who cares, they are the biggest hypocrites.

Now, I'm sure I'll get lambasted here, but I'm just using one example when it could be pointed at all politicians and actors drive limos but tell other people to be cleaner. I'm just saying that whenever somebody says to be greener and cleaner, chances are they are a hypocrite.

Okay, go ahead and reply. Everybody here will want their 15 minutes.

Reply to
Kruse

I think environmentalists are telling lies. Are they saying, "The batteries are green because they don't require any resources to make, last forever, and have no environmental consequences when they are disposed of?" I don't think so.

However, environmentalists are not looking at all the environmental costs of electric and hybrid cars. But that is not the same as lying.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Some stats that i recently read over here in the UK

Car and Vehicle polution contributes a massive 1% of the UK's total CO2 output.

If the UK stopped all CO2 output tomorrow, China would have made up the difference inside of 18 months.

The only way to slow pollution would be to ban third world and developing countries from us9ng dirty technology, and that would be next to impossible. Green cars are not a solution to the problem. But drivers are an easy target.

Reply to
Vertuas

In the US, transportation is reponsible for a little over 1/4 of the greenhouse gases.

$File/04executivesummary.pdf I am wondering why England is different.

So it's ok to pollute because others are going it.

So it's ok for developed countries to make more pollution than developing countries?

Transportation is responsible for about 1/4 of the greenhouse gases in the US. Reducing the amount of CO2 made by cars is one solution to the problem. There are many other solutions needed, like reducing the CO2 made by power plants and heating buildings.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
trainfan1

That article is a very nice example of poor reporting and misusing figures.

However, there is another take-home message: The environmental cost of a vehicle is not just in the amount of fuel needed to run it, but also the amount of fuel and natural resources to make it and its replacement parts (like the $2500 battery pack).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

OR that no one cares WHERE we put the dead batteries?

OR what chemicals are used that we wouldn't normally make if not for hybrid cars?

OR that most of those batteries are on trains, diesel trains, being delivered to the "green" car factory.

I remember 20 yrs ago the big thing about regular AA,AAA,9Volt batteries, about people filling landfills with them and the dangers to the ground water.

I guess the greenies forgot.

Reply to
Bob Brown

Looks like all the fuzzy thinkers are out today.

I'd recommend you read to the bottom of the article,

and check the response from "wallofcheese." He's right. The "study" is bullshit and the article is worse.

Reply to
dh

The batteries get recycled. Toyota pays to get them back.

Reply to
dh

$File/04executivesummary.pdf>

No its not OK to pollute because other are going to. However just because one countries tackles it's own pollution issues, doesn't mean that problem will be solved because other countries will still pollute.

Polution is a world wide problem. The developed coutries are the most energy hungry and create the most pollution in generating that energy. Undeveloped countries produce a fraction of the global pollution.

Just because the UK or US tackles pollution, maybe we will create pollution free transportation. Developing countries will replace the pollution. The world wide problem will never be solved whilst this is the case.

We need to REDUCE pollution, not move it to China.

There are many other solutions needed, transportation is a good place to start. Progress can be made by developing new, cleaner technologies. Real clean technologies though, not moving the pollution from the exhaust pipe the power plant.

Just taxing drivers and car owners to oblivion in the hope that they will be persuaded not to use their vehicles is NOT the way to solve this issue. This is what is happening in the UK, it will not work over the long term.

Reply to
Vertuas

My truck is very green.... not my first choice of colours but it was a lease return at a price I couldn't turn down....

Yep, the old SuperCrew 4X4 is about as green as you can get....

Reply to
Jim Warman

It's green only on the surface.

Jeff