Halfshaft pops out?

Last week I posted that my 96 Ford Aspire's right side halfshaft differential seal was leaking tranny oil. I replaced it with success and was driving for two days with no problem.

WELL, this even, when I was attempting to park my car, I stopped, then cut the wheel hard to right as I backed into my parking spot. When I finished, and was getting out of my car. That's when I noticed oil on the ground. MY car is leaking tranny fluid from the exact same spot!

So I jacked the car up and took a look underneath. YUP, the Halfshaft is out by 1/4". So the oil leaked out.

That clip that holds the halfshaft in place inside the differential. I understand it "snaps it in." But is that all that holds the driveshaft into the differential? I backed up my car going maybe 5miles/h and the clipped failed. How can it hold the shaft during normal use? For instance, if you cut the wheel hard right and go in reverse. That end clip has enough holding force to keep the shaft from moving out?

Reply to
k_fitchgerald

you most likely didn't get it in all the way. Yes that little clip holds it in.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Try a new clip. Also wondering if you're alignment might be out if the steering is allowed to travel too far, putting enough stress on the half shaft to "tug" on the clip in the scenario you described. My best guess.

Reply to
sleepdog

Boy, your reaching WAY out on that alignment thing. A new clip sure wouldn't hurt though.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Reply to
sleepdog

So the alignment theory is not entirely true? I will change the clips and see what happens. THank you very much for your HELP :)

Reply to
k_fitchgerald

If it had to do with wheel alignment, you couldn't drive the car anyway... the wheels would be so far out of whack.....

My vote is for damaged retainer ring or improper assembly.

Unfamiliar with your car as I am, I would think that a tripot (yes, the spelling is correct) joint is used at the axle inner end - I'm unsure of how it can withstand deflection angles compared to the more familiar cross and yoke design but it does offer a generous amount of "plunge". It can't handle as much torque as a similarly sized cross and yoke joint.

The CV joint used at the knuckle has no plunge capability but offers a greater range of motion. Load bearing surfaces are very small meaning this style of joint can't sustain large amounts of torque.... Sorry, the "official" name of the joint style escapes me at the moment.

One only has to look to see how many different "universal" joint styles are offered on todays vehicles... single cardan, double cardan, tripot, the elusive name that escapes me... Each of them has some redeeming quality that makes them a good choice for their intended purpose when properly selected.

Word of advice... if you weren't experiencing a particular condition before the repair... but are subsequently having a concern.. it is important to review the repair procedure to verify if it is a "pre-existing" concern or an induced concern...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I had this happen to me with an 85' Escort. I was driving it home from the service shop after having the driveshaft seals replaced. Suddenly the engine RPM went through the roof. I got under the car and saw the fluid leak like yours. The mechanic hadn't used new cir-clips on the half-shafts and one of them popped out of the tranny. They had to do the whole job over with new clips and made sure they were fully seated in their grooves. You should feel the shaft pop into place when the clip is properly seated.

Reply to
Fordfan