Headlights oscillating

Sorry if I missed it, but can an alternator be tested with a VOM?

Last time I had the auto parts place test one, they pinpointed the alternator. Bought it, had a mechanic check it out, also said it was the alternator, they replaced it and 2 weeks later same problem. Turned out to be bad connections. Big unnecessary expense.

Would rather TS it myself as much as I can.

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... This just started.... or at least I just noticed it. With the headlights on dim and engine warmed up and idling, the brightness cycles from normal to slightly dim. Cycle time is around a second. When I rev the engine slightly, they return to normal steady brightness.

When running with or without lights, the ammeter is just right of center, slightly charging, in the normal position.

I don't suspect a connection -- within the last 2 months, I removed and cleaned all the battery connections, including regulator and other parts when I was fixing a grounding issue.

Battery cranks start just fine. No other indications of failing battery.

Thanks folks,

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

And don't forget to "pulverize" it when installing!

Reply to
Tekkie®