Earth resistance

I'm trying to track down a fault with my car's clocks. One earth is showing very low resistance (negative for some reason on my cheapy multimeter), and the other is showing around 50 ohms. Does this sound anything like right?

Reply to
Doki

You should have zero resistance on any earth,. I think your "cheap" multimeter may not be 100% as you shouldn't have a negative reading for resistance,are you able to zero the meter?If so you might want to do that first..

Steve

Reply to
Steev

50 ohm is far too high. Check again with the battery off though, just in case.

You should expect quite a way below 1 ohm, depending on the meter.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Better still,check for poor connections using volt drop,its better than using resistance..

Steve

Reply to
Steev

Righto. Just had another play and using the continuity buzzer function of the meter there's a bit of stuttering. Looks like I may have found the fault...

Reply to
Doki

For those with a better brain for electronics than me, here's the diagram of the clocks:

Pins 3 and 5 are earths - AFAIK 3 is the main earth and 5 is linked to the MFA (trip computer) stalk. The basic problem is that everything operated by the box of tricks at the bottom of the screen doesn't work - no computer, no rev counter, no oil pressure, no nowt...

Hopefully now someone will post and tell me I've cracked it...

Reply to
Doki

And pin 3 is the dodgy one.

Reply to
Doki

Most digital multimeters show -1 for infinity resistance - in other words an open circuit or no connection.

Reply to
Graham

I bet you're measuring resistances with the car battery still connected. It's not advisable as you'll likely either blow the meter up or get negative or false readings if the circuit has volts on it or current is flowing through a connection.

Reply to
Steve B

If the meter zeros ok on the ohms scale sounds like there's some volts there.

50 ohms is far too high - I doubt it ever was a true earth connection. What colours on the wire?
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Umm.. Pin 5 isn't connected on that diagram.

3 does look like it's an Earth, 13 the +V supply. Pin 1 is also connected to the Earth, so with the whole panel unplugged is there a link between 1 +3 (on the instrument panel, not the connector to the fuse box)?

Between 3 and 13 on the connector you should have the full battery voltage, possibly only with the ignition on.

Reply to
PCPaul

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Disconnect the battery & do it again, the current flowing to earth from the cluster is confusing your meter. If you use the probes the other way round then the readings will change.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think you've spotted it.

Reply to
malc

It isn't connected to the fusebox - it's connected to the MFA stalk

Yep. I have got a full pinout for the instruments, but it's not on that diagram.

Reply to
Doki

Grey.

Reply to
Doki

IIRC mine doesn't. It'd do it every time the probes aren't on anything.

Reply to
Doki

By the way, the clocks started playing up after a battery charger was connected up in reverse. Several sets of clocks have exhibited the same faults, so I reckon it's the wiring. Am I right in thinking that the diode between pins 3 and 13 would have allowed basically an open circuit so it's likely the wiring's knackered somewhere? Or should it have munched a fuse?

Reply to
Doki

If you're sinking a reasonable amount of current all the time you might have blown a diode short circuit, which would bugger up your resistance readings.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm testing the wiring with no clocks attached. The diode tests out ok on my meter.

Reply to
Doki