Cooling system malfunction 94 Concorde

The coolant blew out of my 94 Concorde last week. I was down about a gallon. Car did not overheat, but the temp gauge was nearing the red zone. I refilled and drove home with no problem. Since then I have not used any. I left the car running in the driveway for a half hour with no loss. I checked with the heater on and off.

Pressure holds at 8. Cap is rated at 17. If I pressurize at 20, fluid blows out the cap until it hits 8. BUT I did not see any fluid by the radiator resevoir when the coolant first blew out. It was difficult to locate any leak at night. I did spot some towards the firewall on left center side of engine/trans.

I don't recall if I have ever replace any orig hoses. 12 years,

125,000 mi. Maybe it's time to do them all.

I don't likeself healing problems because they are potentially masking a serious situation.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Tommy D

If the fans turn on as designed and you don't see any other signs of an overheating problem take a good look at the radiator cap rubber seal, if it is cracked, missing rubber or just doesn't look right replace it. That cap will dump coolant out under pressure if the seal is not good , once it dumps out enough, the lite will turn on or the gauge will climb.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Well, I'd definitely get a good radiator cap. What most likely happened is that its been slowly boiling coolant for days or weeks since the cap would only maintain 8 PSI, and it lost the coolant as *vapor* not as liquid, hence no obvious leak. Get a decent cap on there and then monitor coolant level like a hawk for a while. If it continues dropping, then you've got other problems (which wouldn't surprise given that you say it was down a *gallon!* When you're that low on coolant, the temp gauge can be meaningless- the engine can be melting itself but with no coolant flowing past the sensor, it will read artifically low.) But the older cast-iron Chrysler engines like your 94 would have are tough mothers, and it may be fine anyway.

One thing you don't mention is which engine you have- the 3.5 is a great engine, but it has a couple of possible coolant leak spots that the 3.3 doesn't (O-rings behind the water pump housing, corner passages of the lower intake manifold gaskets).

Reply to
Steve

If it is a 3.5 I would also suspect a failing water pump...... .. These like to "lock up" intermittently before they finally quit.. I think almost every one of these I have changed (I did say almost) was a "lock up" or getting "tight"..

Reply to
me!

A new radistor cap seems to have solved the problem,

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Tommy D