Rover 214Si - Help diagnose leak via pictures

Hi all.

I don't know much about cars, but while I was topping up my oil last week I noticed a leak which had been there for a while, can you give me a hand in diagnosing it, and is it anything I should be worried about?

I took a few pictures with my Nokia 3650 and put together a small web page on my Apache here - can you see if it's anything I need to worry about? The power steering fluid was topped up recently, and is still on the "maximum" level - that looks like where it's coming from.

Thanks,

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

You're right in suspecting that it's power steering fluid. The metal pipe work there is the supply and return feeds of the power steering fluid cooling rail which runs just in front of the radiator. The rubber hoses connect the rail to the reservoir and pump and I suspect it's at the join that the leak is occurring. The original jubilee clips that rover used were sh1te at best and probably need replacing although you could try tightening them up first to see if that helps. Also bear in mind that the hoses, being made of rubber, are probably past their best by now as rubber starts to deteriorate with age.

HTH

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Thanks!

As it's still on maximum I'm going to assume that the leak has "stopped" - but I need to put it in for a full service anyway as I'm not sure when it had its last one. I got it at 61,000miles and the drive belt was still the original. I've also had the front wheel brakes replaced.

I guess I need to put it in for its 60,000mile service, and just qualify that the front brakes, drive belt don't need changing and ask them to have a look into that leak and ask 'em to do something to the boot as I have to slam it harder than I'd like to to get it to lock shut.

Anyway, thank you for you reply, you've set my mind at rest!

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

What do you mean by drive belt? If it's the cam belt and not one of the other belts (alternator or power steering?) and it's been on for 60k, you want to get it swapped as it's generally not cheap to fix if it snaps (lots of bits in the engine hit other bits in the engine). And they generally say to swap them at 60k...

Reply to
Doki

Almost certainly power steering fluid from those pics. To be sure clean the area throughly and re-inspect after a couple of days fresh evidence.

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

I didn't qualify my original paragraph the drive belt (cam belt) doesn't need changing as I got it changed very soon after I bought it.

Thanks for the reply.

--Nick. (Sponsored by Texas)

Reply to
Nick