How is fuel injection service performed?

A friend has a 1999 Ford Contour with 80,000 miles on it and was told she should have the fuel injection serviced. I asked her how the car ran and she said it runs fine, but since she is the second owner, she doesn't know if the fuel injection has ever been serviced.

I remember paying about $80 to have the fuel injection on my Isuzu Rodeo serviced and I watched a mecahanic basically hook up a bottle to the fuel line and let the engine run for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, he reved the engine a couple of times as some white smoke came out of the exhaust and then became clear again. I did not notice any change in the Isuzu's performance when I drove it off and wondered if the fuel injector cleaners sold at Pep Boys would have done the same at a fraction of the price.

Can anyone explain what a fuel injection service should be like and what it should cost. Is the service different for different manufacturers?

Reply to
Satchel Paige

go to

the web site for contour owners and ask the same question.. you will get alot better answer there and will also get info on just about anything involving a contour/mystique...... hope this helps.

Reply to
dbird

It depends on how dirty your fuel injector system is, what chemicals they are using and, how well they clean it, if it really is coated with build up or not. Generally in most cases you won't see any difference before and after, sometimes the do it yourself stuff is just as effective, and a whole lot cheaper. I believe that only in the most extremely dirty situations is it a worthwhile expense.

Reply to
351CJ

Satchel Paige opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Is "fuel injection service" listed as scheduled maintenance?

Lessee.. she took the car to a shop for something else and the guy says " Gee lady you need you muffler bearings lubed"

Where do you live and what is the major gas brand in the area?

I drive high mileage cars and never have used a fuel additive... for grins I took some injectors in after 160K or so to have them cleaned and profiled and there was nothing wrong with them.

However.. any time the subject has come up in the last ten years i've been reading these boards, Techron has been well thought of.. so just do it yourself.

Please note I think these warnings of deposits are highly exxagerated in the typical car using a good brand gas.. not necessariily the best known.

For example Speedway gas has never let me down

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

hook up a bottle to the fuel line and let the engine run for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, he reved the engine a couple of times as some white smoke came out of the exhaust and then became clear again.

That's it.... If you didn't noticed any difference means you did it on time.

It is called preventive maintenance

If you use it on a regular basis , every , lets say , forth tank of gas. Offcourse it will add up that way

Reply to
johanb

It's called making the boat payments on the mechanic's boat....

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Yeah, that too

Are you saying a technician is not allowed to have a boat ???

Reply to
johanb

Basically, you should never need an "injector service". It used simply to make cash flow at a repair facility.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

It's called high priced snake oil. It is not preventing anything.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

A good technician shouldn't have time for a boat.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Although my last car had only 92K when I sold it, I dumped a can of Techron in the tank once a year before I started a highway trip. During the 15 years I owned the car, I never had a problem and the car ran like new when I sold it. Did it help? Who knows, but it was cheap insurance!

Reply to
Ken

she was taken. if it was running well before and after, all that happened was the tech's pockets got lined.

you can get fuel injector cleaner at the auto parts store real cheap. i put some in once in a while. usually, i wait too long and the car isn't starting too well. one tank full with cleaner and it's ok again.

what would a car repair facility do? i'll bet it would come to hundreds of dollars. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

frank-in-toronto opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If I were you, I'd change gas brands... i bought an Aerostar a month ago and it took a long time "cranking'to start ... after two tanks of Speedway, it's cut about in half

If your BP stations now say 'new Arco" blend... try that. I'd NEVER use BP prior to the change.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I'd agree that it won't prevent injectors from getting dirty, but it can work very well to clean partially clogged injectors. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Or.....

prevent them to get more clogged and prevent the engine to start running rough.

Anyways, difficult subject

does/doesn't.

Preventive maintenance will always be a topic open for long discussions.

You all go ahead, good luck

:-))

Johan

Reply to
johanb

I've never had a fuel injection service on my car. I still have the original 6 injectors and they have almost 300,000 miles on them and they work fine. About 4-5 times a year I 'll add a bottle of Gumout to the gas.

I burn Shell, Mobil, or BP 87 octane.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,274 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

That's what the fuel does, clean and keep the injectors from plugging. Waste of money.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

So you've NEVER seen a clogged fuel injector? I'd find that pretty hard to believe. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Back in the early days of injection it happened but not as common as lead to believe by the fine people who are selling your the snake oils. I find it hard to believe you see a lot of them.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Sam Steele