Fuel Injection Service

Is it ever really needed?

Dealers are always trying to sell the $159 fuel injection service and recommend it every 15,000 miles. Seems kind of steep to do that often. The service consists of a $75 parts kit and the rest labor.

Having driven hundreds of thousands of miles and never an injection problem, I'm hesitant, but there may be a point that it is a good idea. I do know that people have had injector problems, but I'm not sure just how often it comes up.

Opinions? Comments?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:29:56 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

No.

Reply to
CRNG

That what I figured. Another money maker.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If an injector is not spraying properly and it's difficult/expensive to replace, then I'd say it's worth trying this first. Otherwise, no. In general, you're likely to spend less money by waiting until a failure occurs.

Reply to
hyundaitech

How about Option #3: DIY?

a. Go into the auto parts store (Mo, Mel, and Bub) and buy your own can of "Fuel Injector Cleaner" for what: $9.95?

Run a can of this through the gas tank once per year or so.

b. Use Chevron gasoline. Didn't it have some additive that Click and Clack really liked?

b1. I think that the parts stores (Mo, Mel, and Bub) sell that Chevron additive by itself?

How about that?

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

You're speaking of Techron(R). And yes, it is (or at least was) available separately via parts retailers. Realistically speaking, though, it does so mething most gasolines already do: clean up after themselves. I believe Co nsumer Reports did a gasoline study (in excess of ten years ago) and all gr ades of nearly all gasolines had sufficient detergents in them to prevent d eposits.

In a jam? Probably can't hurt to try it for the price. But if you're just putting some in on some sort of regular schedule, you're probably wasting your money on redundancy.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The advent of ethanol polluted fuel has changed the equation.

Formation of gum, etc. is a problem again. Doesn't hurt to run a can of cleaner through every few months and try not to let ethanol polluted gasoline stay in your car more than a few weeks.

If you drive infrequently, add Stabil or a similar product.

Reply to
Voyager