how much fluid lost in windstar trannie filter change?

haynes manuals says 4.5 qts with drain and refill, has anyone found it to be a different amount?

Reply to
Petebert

To avoid such problems when I first did my 'tranny' filter change, here is what I did... With the car fully warmed up, and engine running as per the manufacturer, I checked the level of the fluid and made sure it was at the full mark. Next, I shut off the engine and waited until the next morning when it was cool , and check the fluid level again, and made a mark just below the top on the dip stick. I proceeded to change the filter, then refill up to the mark I had made on the dip-stick..(with engine off and cool.) I then started and warmed the engine to operating temperature, and proceeded with the fluid level check with engine running as per the manufacturer. I have found I have never needed to add more than 1/2 Quart to reach the proper full mark.. I have had friends who measure the amount of fluid that was drained out. But, that can be messy if you are not careful..

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

When I change the fluid its going to be hot, I want to do it on base at the hobby shop so I can put the van on a lift and dispose of it right there and I have to drive 8 miles to get there, I could always go over after work and only drive 2 miles or so but it will still warm up at least slightly.

Reply to
Petebert

Of course you will change the fluid when it is warm..( you will want to wait at least 20-30 minutes after driving 8 miles to the hobby shop..it might be too hot.) The cool engine I talk about, is just to get the fluid mark on a non-running engine. Because you will be refilling the tranny with cool fluid you need to know where the level was with cool fluid in a non-running engine... PS: You will want to have lots of rags and some mild solvent/alcohol to clean the tranny oil pan..

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

makes sense thanks

Reply to
Petebert

when lower pan is dropped and filter is replaced ...6 Qts

Reply to
PC PODD