How to change oil pump shaft on 300 - 6cyl engine 1988

Wow! This is a new one for me... but I don't live in cold country either. 42 is a very cold night here in WLA. But, wound up Ford oil pump drive shafts happen/ed in these parts too!

However, the major source of oil water contamination isn't condensation... it's short trips.

Gasoline is a hydrocarbon, and one major byproduct of it's combustion is water; a good bit of it too. (You can really see it on cold days after cold starts, puffing out the exhaust.) Some other things like small amounts of acid[1] and other crud are also produced by the combustion process.

Some of this water and crud gets blown down past the rings and contaminates the oil. Cold starts also require rich mixtures which aggravate the situation, and also cause some unburnt raw fuel to be blown by the rings.

If the engine is run long enough to get the oil temperature up, and keep it up for a while, this water will boil off and be removed by the PCV. If the engine is used for mostly short trips, the oil's water content just gets higher and higher.

Engines used for longer trips on average, usually have no water contamination issues, and can be safely run for longer oil change intervals. Short trip engines require short change intervals; as in short calendar intervals, not mileage.

Incidentally, synthetic oils are affected the same as mineral as far as this contamination stuff goes. Interesting to note is that my Honda owners manual says "You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for a conventional motor oil, it displays the API Certification Seal, and it is the proper weight. You must follow the oil and filter change intervals given in the maintenance schedule."

Erik

[1] These acids also build up in in the oil of short trip engines, and in conjunction with the water are a major cause of sludge... I've heard, but don't know for sure that the acids take longer to boil off than the water. The acids also play hell with babbit bearings, and cause rubber seals/gaskets to prematurely harden and leak. I've noticed that oils produced in the last 15 years or so seem to produce much less sludge than the days of yore. (The 'base' of the crude is also a factor...)
Reply to
Erik

This was a new one for me too.....

But what you say makes sense. I only used this truck daily on the farm, to haul hay bales and other chores. It never really got warm, it's not even licensed for the road. What's weird is that my tractor is used the same way and never had this problem. I guess tractors are made for this type of use.

I guess that to use a truck in this manner means that I need to let it idle for long periods every few days. But with the cost of gas, who wants to waste it. Guess the solution is to just use the tractor for farm use, especially in cold weather.

Reply to
jw5

If there were antifreeze in there, it wouldn't freeze.

Neat thing about cars and trucks is that they make their own water when they burn fuel. The byproducts of combustion are CO2 and water. If the engine doesn't got hot, some of the water vapor condenses into the oil.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff