ID my engine

OK, so I have this 79 Ranchero. I thought it was a 351W, but when I went to get a fuel pump for it, the bolt pattern was wrong. so I asked to see the pump for a 351 Modified, and that one is right.

Being a database programmer by day, (back yard car hack on a few weekends a year) I know that computers aren't always on the money, I don't exactly trust the part's store computer.

So.... how do I tell exactly what kind of engine I have?

Carl K

ps, thanks to all that have helped so far. Nice group you got here.

Reply to
Carl K

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but without looking for specific markings on the engine itself, you should be able to figure out what engine the car came from the factory with by running the VIN number. Assuming of course, this is the original engine. According to a few websites, the 4th - 8th characters are the ones to look for. Here are a few sites that should be able to help. BTW, I'm not affiliated with any of these sites, they just happened to be the first few links that popped up after a quick search.

There are specific markings and different ways to determine a 351 Windsor, Cleveland and Modified, but I'm going to leave that up to someone else to answer, as I don't know as much as some others would on this group about the exact details.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

assuming the factory 351 was the "M" motor. If it was a Windsor, the fuel pump bolts would be horizontal. If you have the "M" motor, the fuel pumps bolts will be vertical. This, of course, is if it has a factory motor. Looking back one year to '78, the Ranchero was available with the 302, 351 or the 400. Looking back to '77, the Ranchero was available with the 302, the 351, the 400 or the 460. So between then and now somebody could have put about any motor in it and do it by using factory parts and a donor vehicle. Your best bet is to check the VIN with a Ranchero club and go from there.

Reply to
Kruse

If it's a 351, it's likely the 351M. The thermostat housing is part of the intake manifold on the 351W and exits horizontally, not so on the

351C/351M/400(the thermostat housing is on the block extension which contains the timing chain).

Check for your fuel pump here:

It could be a 400, it's identical in every aspect to the 351M from the exterior. Is there an emissions sticker anywhere under the hood? What's the VIN?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

My recollection may be wrong, but doesn't the 351W look just like a

302? And the C and M have wider valve covers?
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

definitely not that.

Sounds like what I have.

mine is the 351c

I'll have a look tomorrow.

9h 48h 152 512

Carl K

Reply to
Carl K

If the engine is original, you have the 351M engine, not the 351 cleveland. The genuine 351 cleveland was made for only a few years in the early 70s. The 351M is similar to the 351 cleveland and share many parts, but the genuine 351 cleveland has the windsor bellhousing bolt pattern. The 351M has the same bellhousing pattern as the 429/460 engine family.

Once again, if you are not the original owner, you MAY have a genuine

351 cleveland that somebody put in there. Who knows what has happened to your Ranchero over the years.......
Reply to
Kruse

Yes, but the 351W has about an inch taller blcok, easy to tell, look behind the distributer, if the manifold gasket area is close to being flush with the distributer, you have a 289-302. An inch of block above the distributer, a 351W.

And the C and M have wider valve covers?

Wider and flat acros the top as compared to the 289-302-351W.

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

Apparently you have a 351M, a detuned 400 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter