Strange noises from my '90 engine; sound clips available

Hey all,

While flushing the coolant system, I think the water pump started to act up. If you can, listen to the pump sound clip at

Also during the same project, I noticed a funny sound that picks up around 3000 rpm. It's the clip called "mystery." It sounds like a rattle, almost tinny, perhaps a lose exhaust manifold? Except that it seems to be coming from the other side of the engine.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Is it leaking any coolant?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza

I have no clue how a broken water pump sounds, but could you not use a piece of hose or so to pinpoint the sound source? Without getting anything in the moving parts of course. I have one of those stethoscope things from Sears that I would try, though the thing has not helped me much so far.

Just an idea, Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'll give it a try Leon. I'm afraid I may pinpoint the sound area but still not know what it is. I'm handy, but not expert on engines.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I am saying that there may be leakage due to a leaky water pump. Since the pump is pretty much hidden by the lower timing belt cover, you won't see the coolant easily. It will dribble out the shaft, down the front of the engine and out the bottom of the lower belt cover. If you park in a garage, there will be evidence of dripped coolant on the floor. It won't be directly under the front belt cover, however, as the coolant will drip on the lower engine cover and run out someplace about mid-engine.

Bad water pumps usually squeal. It's hard to descrbe, but you sort of know what it is. If you have a strange squeal accompanied by a loss of coolant, it's probably the pump. My original pump in the '90 Miata gave it up around

150K. My daughter had the car at the time and told me about hearing a squeal. First thing I checked was the coolant in the overflow can. There wasn't any. The car received regular coolant changes, so it wasn't neglected. Just old.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza

If Doug can get the car up on a lift, he can see the water pump pulley by shining a flashlight up from underneath. Leaking coolant should appear as green droplets or stain on the pump shaft. (BTDT)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I'll give it a shot.

Doug