Intake Manifold leak

Is the '99 5.3L susceptible to the same intake manifold coolant leak as the earlier engines? Thanks.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

"Randal O'Brian" wrote

No, the new generation of chev small block engines does not use a "wet" intake manifold set up. In other words, all that passes through the plastic intake manifold on these engines is the fuel/air charge. These engines have a large plate that covers the top of the engine block....and they have small coolant pipes that connect the two cylinder heads at the front and the rear. So far, the only coolant leaks I've seen from these engines are head gaskets, and the water pump gaskets.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No it isn't. The 5.3 doesn't have any water in it, it is only for the intake air.

Reply to
<aschroeder1

Re: Intake Manifold leak Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Dec 6, 2003, 9:24pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@123.com (x) I have just been told that my 99 Yukon has an intake manifold leak where it meets the head, on the front of the engine. The mechanic, whom I trust very much, says this is very common for these engines. I only have

35k miles but he says it's a matter of time, not mileage. $300 - $400 to get it fixed. There is also a tube that is threaded into the right side of the manifold that rots and breaks off. He strongly recommended getting that replaced before it breaks. That will cause coolant to pour out of the engine. Randal O'Brian wrote: Is the '99 5.3L susceptible to the same intake manifold coolant leak as the earlier engines? Thanks. Randy

Your mechanic is right on the money....Yes intake gaskets are very common also is the nipple that goes into the intake.....I think it has something to do with the Dexcool coolant they are using now...Im in deep south texas where replacing intake gaskets are a daily thing...I guess depending on the climate you live in determines which parts go out the most...We hardly replace the head gaskets in these engines ...... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook