Need arm rests for 85 Tempo

This is the last car my mother owned before she passed away and I hesitate to let it go. It needs arm rests very badly. Any ideas where I can get them?

Reply to
Chris

I think you could find armrests at the closest scrapyard for cheap. The bigger question is why you would consider letting the car go because of the armrests?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I'm not considering letting the car go because of the arm rests. I'm explaining why getting arm rests for such a vehicle is a priority to me.

I have checked the local scrap yards and come up empty handed. Are there any companies that might sell such things?

Reply to
Chris

Ebay, local dealer.

Reply to
The One

The local dealer bust out laughing and I haven't found anything on Ebay. I'm beginning to think I'll have to fabricate something.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

Reply to
Chris

Have you tried the online recycling networks? If you don't find what you want you can put in an order for something and wait. What's wrong with the original ones? Can something be done with them? How bad do you want them? I'm sure a complete door is available from an online recycler. I'm not suggesting you buy new doors, but it you find doors, you found armrests.

PS. When I make the local dealer laugh, I know I did a good thing. I love to pull my 83' Chevy up to the Chevy showroom window and go in with the now 9 year old girl and look over all the shiny new products. Now they don't even bother to leave their cubicles. They just listen as we inspect. A 9 year old enjoys sliding on a newly waxed floor under a SUV.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I've put in on one of the recycling networks and will try others as I find them. I can certainly wait -- I've waited this long, eh?

The originals are covered in vinyl that has torn, fallen off and generally disintegrated. I'm tempted to try replacing them with wood. The idea of a new door is interesting though as the hinges are also shot and the body shop wants $600 to replace them. Getting around that will be a future project.

Reply to
Chris

Make the dealer laugh? I take my new 1992 Dakota pickup when I visit the dealers. I explain that is the newest car I own but I'm getting real serious about buying something -- probably will in the next five years or less.

Reply to
Chris

Just keep your eyes open. Ford sold tons of these cars, but they are 20 years old now. It may take some time. Didn't Tempos use the same arm rests through 1993 or did they change around 1987 or so? If the newer ones are the same, finding them shouldn't be too hard.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Heh heh. Back in the 1970s, I used to drop by the Chrysler dealers, with my

1932 coupe. I told them that I would buy a new one when the coupe was worn out.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Chris, I've read through all the other posts to this point, and it seems you may be better off buying a whole car or two to have on hand for parts. There are a lot of "granny" cars from this time frame to be had with very little drive wear (good interiors, door hinges, etc.) and very cheap... $200-$300... you may even find one with the same int/ext colors! for parts, try

for whole cars, the local classifieds seem to be more populated with Tempos (and don't forget to look at the Topaz too!), but check

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1