No Idle for a while (intermittent)

1999 Grand Marquis LS (~60,000 miles). It does that from time to time, I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal for a while, otherwise, it *will* stall. (it doesn't idle)

Happened again yesterday, had to play with both pedals for a couple of stops & redlights before it could idle on its own. (after about a couple of minutes, it's fine)

Tried to figure out a pattern (warm then cold, dry than damp, but no match)

The only pattern I can see is I get a little surge of engine power when it gets OK.

A friend of mine suggested removing the IAC valve, cleaning both connectors, and cleaning the IAC itself using carb cleaner. Kinda makes sense to me.

A vaccuum leak would do it more often than once-in-a-couple-weeks, unless I'm mistaking...

Any ideas/suggestions/insults ?

:)

Reply to
El Bandito

What you have are the classic symptoms of a dirty IAC. This is probably the most common cause of stalling at idle. You should be able to turn the a/c on/off and put it into gear with no perceptible change in idle speed or quality if it is working correctly. Sometimes, they can be cleaned. Others, they require replacement. A dirty one will not set a fault code or illuminate the CEL - only an electrically failed one. The quick down and dirty way is a new one that will cost you $45 to $100 depending one where you get it.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I'd vote IAC valve, too. Bought one at a dealer in 2003 for $130 for my 97 CV. Trying to clean my old one just made it worse.

Reply to
Tim J.

I've had great luck cleaning my IAC. Didn't have to get as harsh as carb cleaner. In fact, I'd be a little nervous about going that strong.

Never bothered with the connectors. I had some instrument cleaner left over from cleaning the MAF and when that was gone I used WD-40. Just sprayed down onto the shaft, let it sit, move the spring around a little, blow it out and it has always worked for me on my 97 4.6. (167K)

If you have a small brush you can stick down in there so much the better.

Reply to
F.H.