Not heating or idling properly

I have a 1991 Ford Aerostar with a 4.0 RWD. The radiator went out on it and I had to replace it. The temp only went about 3/4 of the way up and did NOT redline. I since replaced the radiator and it will not heat up properly. Also since replacing it it idles eractically up and down about every second changing back and fourth. Before the radiator went out it idled fine as well as heated up properly. I am sure all the lines are hooked up and it has brand new antifreeze in it.

Reply to
FanOf88UPS

The thermostat could be stuck open from the time it overheated. Also, check for a faulty coolant temperature sensor. It could be lying to the computer and causing the engine to run rich.

Just my 2 cents.

--= DJ =--

FanOf88UPS wrote:

Reply to
DJ

Does that year have a temp gauge? Thermostat sounds about right to change, my grandpa always told me to change the thermostat after getting the radiator or water pump serviced, how's the heater hoses?

Reply to
fordltd

Just started thinking about it check to see if your water pump is working properly if ya don't know how to do this you can pinch the top radiator hose closed while in your hand while your 4.0 is idling if you can feel the coolant surge your pump is working, if don't feel it then water pump is not working, also feel if the bearings on the water pump could be damaged, (lesabre did this) just look over everything twice and you'll find it hope this helps

Reply to
fordltd

Reply to
silverangelcheek

Perhaps I missed it, but what are you driving?

Mine is super simple to change. Been a while since I changed one, but as I recall, the things have an instruction sheet in the box which will walk you through it... at least for mine....

Reply to
Spike

Mine is a 1991 ford aerostar van; the termp gauge does not show hot and it does not overheat. Thanks for responding so fast. I am a female and I have arthritis and this is hard on me this time of year; but I am a tough old (well only 50 years young) cookie! Thanks for the help!

Reply to
silverangelcheek

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with such a late model vehicle. Not that I have not had any, but I never had to get that far into the later models. My last was a Firebird GTA with a TPFI (Tuned Port Fuel Injected) engine which hardly ever had any problems.

Hopefully, someone who does will respond shortly. And, you have a few years to catch up to me... LOL

Whenever you inquire about assistance with a project, you should give as much information as possible about the problem, including what vehicle, which engine, etc. Then all you can do is sit back and await a response. Sometimes it happens right away. Other times it may take a little time (like now, around the holidays when people are busy with lots of things.

I would suggest that if you are willing to get your hands dirty, there are a couple of things you can do. One is get a decent paid of mechanics gloves... they'll help protect your hands and help keep them a bit warmer. The other is stop by any decent auto parts place and pick up a Haynes or Chilton Repair Manual for your specific vehicle (I personally prefer the Chilton).

You can often get what is listed as "used" but in brand new condition by doing a search at

Search for Ford Aerostar Repair Manual. Find the one that applies to your vehicle if there are more than one. Follow the link to the description. There you should see another link to "...and used starting at $....". You'll get a listing of sources, conditions, and prices. I have picked up repair manuals, restoration books, etc, in new condition (still in wrappers) for about half (including shipping) of what you'd pay in an auto parts store, and they arrive within a few days.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Reply to
Spike