Completely new 69 fastback??

Is it possible to build a 69 fastback from completely new parts?

I know engines, suspension, fenders (front and back), hood, trunk, doors, ... can all be purchased as new parts. But, how about the main body. Does anybody know of anyone selling a new assembly of the roof - A-pillar - rails?

TIA.

Reply to
Rock Braud

Nope.

Reply to
Scott Williams

NO.

Reply to
351CJ

Ok, guess gotta track down a carcass.

Anybody know of a good source for gutted 69 fastbacks?

Ebay, has several, but not necessarily a rolling chassis like I want.

Later.

Reply to
rnbraud

It'll cost you more to build one than to just buy one that's already done. I'd just save my pennies unless you find something pretty rare worth saving. That's the ONLY reason I bought the High Country Special. It's a basketcase, but extremely rare. However a plain '69 Sportsroof isn't that rare. You could get into a fairly decent one for around 10-15K.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Appreciate the advice Scott, but buying one outright would remove all the fun of it.

I enjoy building stuff, I built a 78 Ford Pickup with a 351 Cleveland when I was 16. I rebuilt my wifes 92 Suzuki Sidekick engine.

Another question. I have seen many 70 fastbacks/sportsroofs which sell for somewhat less than the 69's. Any chance of taking a 70 removing the nose and replacing with new 69 parts. Or is there other differences between the 69 and 70.

Later.

Reply to
Rock Braud

The front end on a '69 will bolt right on, in place of the 70 nose. IIRC you'd have to replace the fenders also instead of just the front headlight buckets because of the dual headlight setup on the '69. It'd end up looking like a 69 boss 302 because the fake scoop/notches are gone over the rear quarters. I was considering building a 69 Boss 302 clone awhile back, but the problem is always $$$$.

Reply to
Scott Williams

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Rock Braud) wrote

I know the Bud Moore racing team went the other direction with some of its "1970" Trans Am race cars, turning '69's into '70's by swapping the grille and headlights, etc.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

They also had the Boss 302 "scoop delete" on the quarters. And Shinoda said, " I don't want anything fake". So let it be written, so let it be done.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Hey Scott did you know Shinoda's actual BOSS prototype was a 428CJ car. He had filler blanks made for the side scoops. You can see the lines barely on some of the factory pictures. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Replace the grill, the headlamp surrounds. Rewire the headlamps for quads. Cut holes in the 1/4 panels for the fake scoops (or just leave them off BOSS style) Change any 70 striping or trim for '69 style or just leave it off. There, you've now made a '69 look like a 70. :)

Now some people will give you crap about it as I think most people prefer the look of the '70. I prefer the look of the '69 myself.

Reply to
Brent P

I forgot that stuff is actually bolted to fender. But quads are smaller so I am sure an adapter plate could be welded onto the '70 fender.

Reply to
Brent P

And may the legendary Larry Shinoda along with the Boss name rest in peace....

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Stu

Is this the same prototype Shinoda drove for daily transportation?? It was a white 69 Mach I 428CJ w/Boss stripes, spoilers, louvers, blacked out treatment and Magnums. Funny thing is, a 35 year old photo shown in a recent MM issue shows the car in his driveway with side scoops. Maybe the blanks were added later...

The article also mentioned Shinoda purchased the car after leaving Ford in late 69. Sold the car in Michigan and today its whereabouts is unknown...

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

Didn't know that. I'd heard that Shinoda ended up owning the prototype and used it as a daily driver for many years. I saw pics of it with his kids climbing on it from many years ago. It didn't have the graphics but had the body lines and the rear slats. I wonder what happened to The Boss's BOSS. Hmmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!

Reply to
Scott Williams

Hmm. see my other post. I thought it didn't have the stripes on it or the notches. Oh well, I saw that pic SO long ago I could very well be wrong.

Reply to
Scott Williams

You'll need to do some chiselling and welding to change the taillight panel though!

I do prefer the '70 myself but the '69 is certainly no slouch in the looks department. One thing about the '70 from a technical view that makes it better, is the windows don't fall out like the '69's because they are bolted in. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Yep, I believe it is the same car. I know the picture you mean. The scoops are exposed in the driveway shot (With his duaghters and a big Merc Marauder behind it) The factory B&W shots have the scoops covered. The graininess of the factory pics hide the seam lines somewhat. BTW his car has '67 Shelby style Mag Stars not Magnums on it. The early BOSS ads show cars with Mag Stars too. I don't know if they were actually ever sold with them though. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I few years ago at the Columbus Ohio Ford swap meet there was a guy in business selling completly restored(bare in primer)complete 65-66 mustang bodies, thats about all I can tell you about it. It's possible he may be doing other years also.

Reply to
winze

Do you have any contact info??

Reply to