Ok, I'm open minded

Perhaps, but there are still '08 and maybe some '07 at the dealerships but I doubt one could by a any '87 car today.

In any even, as you may recall, the Mustang 4cy was much more powerful, and had much more torque, than any of the similar size Jap cars back then.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And I'd venture to bet you don't live in the "salt belt" or the "briney"

Reply to
clare

PLENTY!!!.Ever drive a 1/3 liter Renault R12? Or an R4?

Reply to
clare

Never MADE a 2.4 'Stang. They were all, AFAIK, 2.3 liter.

Reply to
clare

Yes perhaps you are correct...

Was that the same as the tempo's and topaz? (Opps, did i swear in here?)

Theres a grade about 6% coming off a bridge here in town, the bridge is

70, if i could get it to 100kmph at the end of the bridge, i could hold 100 and just start to loose speed when i crested the 1KM hill.

Oh my land that car worked bad... but the comparison to the jap crap, buddy of mine had an automatic hyundai pony 1985, and i could nudge ahead of him quite a bit.

Reply to
Picasso

If you're open-minded, why do want to compare something in recent history with a decade old foreign made car? I make that assessment as your monies could obviously not buy a recent vehicle of any make based on your intended purchase.

I can provide history of my 08 Focus. Purchased with 925 miles on it on August 1st, 2008 from exclusively Ford dealer. Now has 4500 miles, February

23, 2009. No failures or repairs to date. One oil/filter change. Gas mileage to date, based on gas fills by gallons and trip odometer at that time, 33 mpg worst/39 mpg best. 5 speed manual. Driver/passenger and side air bags standard. No optional equipment or gimmicks. Primary complaint: road noise, don't know the source of that noise (tires, suspension, lack of sound insulation). Another complaint is the nagging tire pressure light when the weather gets colder (tire pressure drops when colder, normal). Now that the weather is improving, I don't have to bother with this anymore for another season. I'm sure its saving me some gas keeping the tire pressure at spec though. Complaint number 3 is lack of spare tire or even a donut type spare. They give you an air compressor with an alternate side that has that goop for sealing tires, one unit that fits in the trunk area designated for it.. This is good for all but an all out blowout. Complaint number 4 is the relatively high trunk area. While backing the car, can't see what's behind me at close distance, like children. Difficult to gauge distance while backing in a parking spot is another example. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with my bang for buck.

Just a caution on well used vehicles. Many Japanese, and German vehicles were noted for their reliability as well. However, their replacement parts are extremely expensive relatively speaking.. Along with the additional expense, there's also time inconvenience when your car is in the shop.

Reply to
Dioclese

Not quite the same engine,but very close. - but the 4 cyl Ranger was the same.

Actually a pretty torquey little beast

And the Hyundai Pony wasn't Jap Crap either, it was une of the first (and worst) Korean crap.

A 1985 Hyundai Pony was perhaps one of the worst cars ever built - by ANYONE.

Reply to
clare

they weren't sneaking around Chryslers building looking in windows when they made the Omni were they?? ;)

Reply to
Picasso

give you an air compressor with an alternate side that has

That is old time thinking. Repair costs on hondas and fords are right in the same ballpark as fords and cheaper than some of the stuff GM is turning out... look at the G6's, Grand Prix ... .etc...

Nissan for one is higher than any honda or toyota... but for you to throw out the blanket on high repair costs for jap vehicles is rediculous.

The german stuff I can agree with for sure... it is way out in left field, more than any Nissan would even be worth... but the honda and toyota stuff is as popular, or more popular and costs are very much in line with domestic.

I think Sarah was just trying to start a Calvin Piss On thread ;)

Reply to
Picasso

No comparison. the Ominous Omni and Horendous Horizon were head and shoulders above the 1985 Pony!!!! The Lada was about the only car ever sold in Canada that came close to meating it at the bottom of the pile. Even the Daicha was a much better car (Romainian? copy of the Renault R12)

Reply to
clare

My personal cost observations were based on a 1988 VW Fox that I owned for

20 years and a similar year Toyota my son owned. Fuel pumps for either vehicles are in the stratosphere compared to their worth. I'm not sure about subsequent year Toyotas. VWs continue to take the bank based on input from others for replacement parts. I would be interested in approximately what year Toyota replacement parts started to substantially decrease in price.
Reply to
Dioclese

Somewhere about 1996 - 1998 , about the same time yank-tank parts started getting pricier.

Reply to
clare

So, the "old time thinking" you refer to is appropriate sometimes. Just depends on the year and make and model of the vehicle.

Reply to
Dioclese

Reply to
razz

Welcome to the real world of Toyota parts pricing!

Before I would change any O2 sensor, I would try to find the FAULT, in the process controller loop, that is actually causing it to be fouled. The O2 sensor, is the most commonly replaced GOOD part today ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

do the math ...

you pay more for a toyota in the long run ...

with more parts purchase ...

then you do for a BMW on the same run, with less to purchase.

in article 49a5debb$0$31040$ snipped-for-privacy@news-radius.ptd.net, Mike Hunter at mikehunt2@lycos/com wrote on 2/25/09 4:13 PM:

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

And your NEW American car will possibly have a l>>>

Reply to
clare

Very true, and I just checked - a 2007 Tundra uses a standard 3 wire O2 sensor - your $68 part will work. Actually the OEM manufacturer being DENSO, you can buy them for about half that (universal fit).

Reply to
clare

Better check again.

MOD and NAPA both show it as a wide band air fuel ratio sensor. (list price; $281)

The wiring diagrams on Mitchell show -all- A-F/O2 sensors in all 3 Tundra engine options to be 4 wire sensors.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The price for a Bosch replacement has a list price of $281.00

That would make you full of shit, as usual.

Reply to
aarcuda69062