Overheating problem?fan belt snapped...helppp.

Overheating problem?fan belt snapped...helppp.

Hello, i have a ford fiesta 93 LX ,and i was driving yesterday to pick my girlfriend from the airport. .. i was going quite fast about 90 mph for an old car like this ..Suddenly the battery indicator flashed .. i

was in the middle of nowhere so i thought that if i continue driving, the only thing that it might happen is that the car will die because it

will be out of battery ..and i have better changes to fix it if i can get to a garage or in the next exit .instead of stopping in the highway

. After going for about 4 miles i realized that heating stopped coming from the car and when i was accelerating i could hear a noise from the engine like something is happening inside .. i continued for about 12 miles and then the noise became extreme and then smoke start coming out

from the car and then i stopped... I was waited for the AA guy for about an hour and he said that he cant repair it ..and he thinks that the fan belt snapped and also that the

battery cannot be charged or something. Before he comes i tried to start the car just to see if i could and the oil and battery indicator were on and there was a weird sound but the car wouldn't start .. i have the car outside a garage and i am going there tomorrow to ask them ..how much will be to repair it and what is the problem .. what do u people think that it might have happened? any ideas how much will it cost to be fixed approximately? is it possible that i caused permanent engine failure???

I learned to stop when the first warning appears..i just hope that the

car will work again..

Thanks Ivan

Reply to
ivanfernandez80

Sounds like you fried your engine. .. bamp

Reply to
bamp

I think you learned a valuable lesson. The belt snapped right THEN because you were doing 90.

If you had driven it at 60, you might even have made it back home...

BUT

It didnt snap because you were doing 90... it was because you dont know how to service your car. That belt wasnt perfectly fine one minute, then break the next.

Though it IS possible that either your water pump or alternator failed and caused it..

No way of knowing what it will cost. My bet is more , much more than the car is worth.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I left the car to a ford dealer to be repaired and they called me today and they told me that it didnt have no oil (oil indicator didnt alert me :-( ) no water and that the fan belt snapped..they changed the fan belt and they replaced the oil but they told me ,that the car needs new engine there is a leak of oil from the excaust ??? So there is no point for me to repair it i guess :-( /

Now probably i will sell it for parts or scrap it ..thanks everyone that replied .

Ivan

Reply to
ivanfernandez80